Juicy Roma tomatoes, fresh basil and parsley are combined and then added to the top of my family's favorite Chicken Cutlet Recipe. Let me show you how to make this easy and fast 30 Minute Caprese Chicken recipe that's perfect for dinner tonight!
I prepared my family's favorite Italian Breaded Chicken Cutlet Recipe, however, right before I put the chicken breasts in the oven to finish cooking, I added a slice of mozzarella cheese followed by a spoonful of the freshly made tomato salad to the top of each chicken breast.
Table of Contents
I served this 30 Minute Caprese Chicken over buttered spaghetti, however, any type of pasta would work or even creamy mashed potatoes. This recipe is easily going to become a great addition to the Weekly Meal Plans I share here on the blog.
If you're looking for another take on caprese chicken, try my Chicken with Mozzarella and Tomato recipe.
What Pairs Well with Chicken?
Once you've decided you're having chicken for dinner, now you need to pick a side dish or two. Check out my list of Side Dishes for Chicken Cutlet Recipes. I know you'll find something easy and delicious to prepare from the list.
This Chicken Caprese Recipe is pretty similar to the very popular Hasselback Chicken you all love. Only for this recipe instead of stuffing the chicken with tomatoes, herbs and cheese, I decided to layer the delicious flavors of summer on top of the chicken.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
4 Pieces Breading Trays SetStainless-Steel Breading TraysThe Pioneer Woman Baking DishDigital Instant Read Meat Thermometer KitchenMeat Tenderizer, Heavy Duty Hammer MalletMEASURE MIX & POUR Salad DressingPre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet Set 3-PieceSilicone Hot Handle Holder, 4 Pack2PCS Bamboo Palm Dish Scrub Brush,GAINWELL Stainless Steel Chainmail Scrubber Set
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
For the Breaded Chicken Cutlets
- 4 thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- Parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Two eggs; slightly beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying; about 2 tablespoons
For the Tomato Salad Topping
- 3 Roma or Plum tomatoes
- Fresh herbs; parsley and basil
- Italian salad dressing
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- Balsamic Glaze - this is essential to any caprese recipe!
Step by Step Directions
Step 1: Prepare the Tomato Salad
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks. Next add the fresh chopped basil and parsley followed by the garlic.
- Toss all the ingredients into a bowl and add the Homemade Italian salad dressing to coat. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Set aside while you prepare the chicken breasts.
Step 2: Prepare the Breaded Italian Chicken Cutlets
In order for this 30 Minute Caprese Chicken recipe to be ready fast, you need to have thin chicken cutlets.
- Lay the boneless skinless chicken breast on a cutting board that’s been lined with waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Cover the chicken breasts with another sheet of parchment paper and using the smooth side of a mallet, gently pound the chicken until it is thin.
Step 3: How to Dredge the Chicken
- Combine the breadcrumbs with the parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow baking dish.
- Then whisk together the eggs in a small bowl that’s big enough to hold the chicken.
- Next, dip the chicken cutlets one at a time in the eggs and then into the breadcrumbs.
- Make sure both sides of the chicken are covered in breadcrumbs.
Step 4: Cooking Instructions
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan and add the chicken cutlets to the hot oil. Allow them to cook in the oil for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown, but not cooked all the way through. We’re going to finish cooking them in the oven.
- Add a slice of mozzarella cheese to the top of each chicken cutlet. Then spoon about 2 tablespoons of the tomato salad on top.
- Place the skillet in a preheated 425°F oven until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Quick Tip: I always use my Digital Meat Thermometer when checking the internal temperature of meat. It gives you a reading instantly. This thermometer also works great for testing the temperature for water when baking bread.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
Don't forget to drizzle a little balsamic glaze over the top of the chicken before serving.
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
Caprese is typically a salad consisting of slices of mozzarella and tomatoes, basil, and olive oil or Italian dressing. It's usually served for as an appetizer but I'm using it as a topping for my family's favorite Italian Breaded Chicken Cutlet Recipe.
Do not confuse balsamic vinegar glaze with balsamic vinegar. The glaze is a thick liquid that's been simmered and cooked down into a sweet glaze that you can drizzle on top of salads, chicken, even garlic bread.
Like this recipe? Try these other Chicken Recipes:
- Top Family Favorite Chicken Recipes as well as a top Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Recipes favorites that are great additions to your family's weekly meal plan.
- Hasselback Chicken - the original tomato, basil and mozzarella cheese chicken favorite.
- Chicken Parmesan is another recipe we frequently enjoy for dinner.
📖 Recipe Card
For the Chicken
- 4 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 eggs; slightly beaten
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
For the Tomato Salad
- 3 large Roma tomatoes; chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- ¼ cup homemade Italian salad dressing
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon balsamic glaze
- In a bowl combine the tomatoes, chopped basil and chopped parsley together.
- Add the homemade Italian salad dressing and toss to combine.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Allow the salad to sit while you prepare the chicken.
- Using a meat mallet, pound each piece of chicken between sheets of parchment paper till ¼" thick.
- Stir the parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper into the breadcrumbs.
- Dip chicken in the beaten eggs, then dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken to the large skillet and brown each side approximately 2 to 4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown, but don’t cook all the way through. We’re going to finish cooking them in the oven.
- Add a slice of mozzarella cheese to the top of each chicken cutlet.
- Then spoon about 2 tablespoons of the tomato salad on top.
- Place the skillet in a preheated 425 degree oven until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of balsamic glaze on top of the chicken before serving over cooked spaghetti.
I served this chicken over cooked, buttered spaghetti, however, your favorite type of pasta would also work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 593Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 217mgSodium: 723mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 51g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.