15 End of Summer Melon Recipes to celebrate the bounty of the season. Sweet recipes including watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe that are both savory and sweet! Today I'm sharing with you a collection of salads, appetizers, and desserts all using summer melon!
Did you know that there are over 30 different types of melons? Melons are juicy, fleshy fruits. When perfectly ripe, they can transport your taste buds to a tropical paradise. They're available in most grocery stores all year long. However, towards the end of summer is when they taste best.
Melons are members of the Cucurbitaceae family. This is what makes them relatives of squashes and cucumbers. Melons taste great in either a savory or sweet recipe!
How to Select a Ripe Melon
To being with, follow these simple tips for choosing the perfect melon:
- Choose a melon that’s not damaged on the outside.
- They should be free of bruises, soft spots, moldy patches and cracks.
- Try to select one that have a dull-looking appearance.
- For the most part, the melon should be heavy.
- As a rule, when you tap the melon, you should hear a hallow sound.
- Here's a tip I learned from our local produce person a few years ago. For example, push your fingers on the section where the vine was attached to the melon. It should be soft with a clean cut. If you see a jagged cut, that means the melon was harvested before it was ripe.
- Melons should smell fresh with just a hint of sweetness.
How to Serve Melons
- To begin with, most people enjoy melons just sliced!
- They also add sweetness to salads, cold soups, drinks, and frozen sorbets.
- Try something new this summer and add a few melon slices to your grill.
- For instance, cooking them concentrates their natural sugars bringing out an entirely different flavor.
How to Store Melons
- Store all melons on the counter top in your kitchen. There's no need to refrigerate.
- Generally, once they've been cut into, store them in the refrigerator. You should cover them in plastic wrap or in a plastic container for up to 2 weeks. Of course, assuming you have leftovers!
- Refrigerating melons diminishes their flavor. Try your best to serve them at room temperature.
- For more information on storing fresh fruits and vegetables, check out this post on Storing Summer Fruits and Vegetables.
Cucumber Honeydew Salad with Feta by Two Peas And Their Pod
Melon Ball Salad by Zesty Olive
Honey Dew Blueberry Lemon Trifle Recipe by She Wears Many Hats
Minto Jicama Cantaloupe Salad With Toasted Pepitas by Snixy Kitchen
Peach Cantaloupe Sorbet by Love And Olive Oil
Honeydew Melon Blackberry Salad by This Healthy Table
Cantaloupe Breakfast Bowls by Eating Bird Food
Watermelon Mint Ice Cream by Feasting On Fruit
Melon Prosciutto Mozzarella Sticks by Running To The Kitchen
Cantaloupe And Cucumber Pops by The Girl On Bloor
Summer Watermelon Cherry Salad With Feta by Happy Foods Tub
Watermelon Salsa by The Girl Who Ate Everything
Grilled Watermelon Salad by Live Eat Learn
Watermelon Raspberry Popsicles by Life Made Sweeter