You can have dinner on the table fast tonight with this easy recipe for Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Pesto and Spinach. This recipe makes an impressive meal for your family and friends.
Do you ever get tired of eating chicken? I have to admit, I do. But I found a recipe and made it for dinner the other night and it made me fall in love with chicken all over again.
Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Pesto and Spinach
Chicken can be a versatile protein to use for a dinner recipe and this recipe for Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Pesto and Spinach is easy to make. If you don’t have the tomato pesto, you can substitute sliced tomatoes. But really go out and find some tomato pesto soon. I have used it in a few recipes so far and it is amazingly delicious.
All you need to complete this meal is another vegetable or salad and of course, garlic bread.
Secret Ingredient – Tomato Pesto – I found the Tomato Pesto in my local grocery store by the specialty oils and vinegar. You can also find it available on Amazon, which is slowly becoming my favorite place to order things. Yes, even grocery items.
How to Make Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Cheese, Tomato Pesto and Spinach
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 thick slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup tomato pesto
- 1/3 cup frozen chopped spinach; defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9×12 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing into the long side of the breast, stopping just about 1/4 of an inch from the opposite side.
- Sprinkle the insides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Spread the tomato pesto on the chicken breast followed by the chopped spinach and then the slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the top layer of the chicken breast over making sure the “stuffing” is in place.
- Secure with toothpicks.
- Place chicken carefully in casserole dish.
- Brush each chicken breast with the olive oil and sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Let’s Get Cooking!
You can see how I sliced the chicken breasts making a pocket to hold the tomato pesto, spinach and cheese. Spread the tomato pesto on first and then layer the chopped spinach and cheese.
Secure with toothpicks and place in casserole dish. The chicken was tender and full of flavor.
Brush the chicken with olive oil and then sprinkle on the Italian seasoning.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Yes, I really do check my chicken with a meat thermometer. I love the instant read ones they have now.
Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella Tomato Pesto and Spinach is an easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner or fancy enough to make for company!
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Basil
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Cutlets Italian Style
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 666Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 583mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 47g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
5 Secrets for Baking Delicious Desserts that Start with a Cake Mix!
Discover my secrets for making a delicious dessert that starts with an ordinary cake mix.