Grilled Chicken Sandwiches - served with the best sauce for chicken sandwich, Homemade Garlic Parmesan Mayonnaise. The perfect recipe to enjoy for a picnic either in your own backyard or nearby park. Let me show you how to make another Family Favorite Chicken Recipe I know your family is going to enjoy as much as my family does.
Sometimes you just have to stop what you're doing and pack up the grilled chicken sandwiches you made for dinner and head to the lake nearby to enjoy some time with your hubby!
Chicken Sandwich Sauce
How do you turn an ordinary grilled chicken sandwich into something AMAZING? You make an incredible chicken sandwich sauce to go on top!
I love this homemade sauce. It's very similar to the Ranch Dipping Sauce Recipe I shared with you awhile ago only this time I'm adding freshly grated Parmesan cheese to the mayonnaise base. This sauce was the perfect topping to already perfectly grilled chicken.
If you're looking for a ketchup based sauce, try my Homemade Fry Sauce. I love to use it to dip veggies, pizza and on top of sandwiches.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Digital Meat Thermometer
- Cast Iron Silicone Holder - my favorite tool for cooking with cast iron pans!
- Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan
- Cast iron chainmail scrubber - this helps tremendously with cleaning cast iron pans.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
For the Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts; grilled
- Soft Rolls
- Fresh spinach or lettuce
For the Garlic Parmesan Mayo:
- Parmesan cheese
- White vinegar
- Garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: How to Grill the Chicken
Combine the ingredients for the chicken sandwich sauce in a small bowl. Set aside while you prepare the grilled chicken.
I needed to get dinner cooked fast, so I used my favorite Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan. Cooking chicken in a cast iron pan always turns out delicious.
To give the chicken extra flavor, you can marinade in Italian salad dressing for about an hour. For this recipe, I chose to keep it simple and season with my "house seasoning" which is a combination of garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Always make sure the chicken cooks to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. And yes, I always check with an Digital Meat Thermometer.
Step 2: Put the Sandwiches Together
Once the chicken was cooked, I started assembling the sandwiches. I started by laying the rolls on a cutting board and then added the sliced grilled chicken.
We love fresh spinach, so that's what I used for our grilled chicken sandwiches. But you can definitely use your favorite lettuce, followed by sliced tomatoes.
Step 3: Add the Garlic Parmesan Mayonnaise Sauce
Now comes the yummy homemade Garlic Parmesan Mayonnaise Sauce. Go ahead spread a big spoonful to the top of the bun.
All that was needed to complete our impromptu picnic was chips, bottled water and homemade coleslaw.
Step 4: Pack the Picnic and Enjoy!
Sometimes, you need to put aside the work, pack up dinner and take a drive to the local park and just enjoy some time together.
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Basil
- Chicken Cutlets Italian Style
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Marsala
For the Garlic Parmesan Mayonnaise:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken Sandwiches:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; grilled
- 2 hamburger rolls
- fresh spinach or lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
How to Prepare the Garlic Parmesan Mayonnaise
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, white vinegar, garlic powder.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set aside while you grill the chicken.
How to Grill the Chicken
- Preheat the Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Brush the pan with about 2 tsp. of oil if necessary.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken breasts to the grill pan and cook for 6 minutes. Using a pair of tongs, flip the chicken breasts and allow them to cook on the other side for an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil to rest for about 5 minutes.
How to Prepare the Sandwiches
- Slice the cooked chicken breasts thin and place on the bottom half of the soft roll.
- Spread the garlic Parmesan mayonnaise on the top half of the soft roll.
- Add fresh spinach and tomato to the top of the chicken.
- Place the top half of the soft roll on top of the chicken.
- Secure with toothpick and pickle if desired.
- The nutritional value listed below is for the garlic Parmesan mayonnaise only.
- Make sure you check the internal temperature of the chicken using a digital meat thermometer.
- The chicken is completely cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 181mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This was originally published in 2018 as a sponsored post but has since been edited with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!