One of my daughter's favorite soups is Pasta Fagioli Soup. I found a recipe online a few years ago and quickly made it knowing Olivia would enjoy it. After making a few adjustments and changing a few ingredients, it's now a family favorite recipe. Let me show you how to make another one of my favorite Best Fall Soup Recipes.
Leave it to the Italians to create a soup recipe that's really more like a meal. For instance, Pasta Fagioli is such a hearty soup it's like a meal in a bowl!
All you need to serve alongside this recipe is a loaf of fresh baked bread and dinner is served. Or how about making and serving this soup in bread bowls for a fun presentation?
What's the Difference between Pasta Fagioli and Minestrone Soup?
For the most part, the main difference between Pasta Fagioli and Minestrone Soup is that minestrone soup has a lot of different vegetables added to the broth. In comparison to pasta fagioli which only has beans, just like it's name in Italian means, pasta and beans.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- Ground Beef
- Onion, carrots, celery
- Can of diced tomatoes, kidney beans and cannellini beans
- Beef broth
- Tomato sauce - you can use either homemade, your favorite jar sauce, or if you canned tomatoes over the summer, you can use that as well!
- Seasonings - oregano, parsley, salt and pepper
- Small shaped pasta -uncooked.
Step 1 | Brown the Meat
- Brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Then drain any excess grease and finally add the browned beef to the crock pot.
- Next add all the other ingredients to your slow cooker, except for the pasta.
- Finally, cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Step 2 | Add the Pasta
After the soup has been cooking for about 4 hours, add the pasta. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes. You can choose whichever small type pasta you know your family is going to like in the soup.
What if my Soup is too Thick?
As a result of adding the pasta to the soup, you may find that your soup is a little too thick. That's because pasta likes to absorb a lot of the liquid. If you do find your soup is too thick, just add a little extra broth to get it to the consistency you prefer.
What Goes with Pasta Fagioli?
This soup is hearty and can be a meal by itself. We love to serve homemade bread on the side. A light salad is always a good way complete the meal.
Can I make this Soup without a Crock Pot
Yes! Simply follow the directions posted below, however, after the meat has browned, add it and the rest of the ingredients to a large stock pot, except the pasta. Cook over low heat for about an hour and then add in the uncooked pasta. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes while the pasta cooks.
More Delicious Easy Soup Recipes
- French Onion Soup - with VIDEO
- Potato Corn Chowder - also made in the crock pot.
- Beef Barley Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup- another family favorite!
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (26 oz) container beef stock (or 3 cups)
- 1 (25 oz) jar jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup ditalini pasta (or your favorite pasta shape)
- In a large skillet that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray add the ground beef and begin cooking while breaking up the meat. Cook until the meat is browned about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place the cooked ground beef in a colander to drain the excess grease.
- Add the cooked ground beef to the crock pot.
- Add all the other ingredients to the crock pot (except for pasta) and stir.
- Set slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, add in the uncooked pasta and stir.
Pasta likes to absorb a lot of the liquid so if you find your soup is too thick, just add a little extra broth to get it to the consistency you prefer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 451mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 24g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2011 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!