Let me share with you today a tradition that has been part of our family for as long as I can remember. Thanksgiving Place Cards are a beautiful way to start your holiday meal with family and friends gathered around the table. The cards are each filled with a thanksgiving type scripture verse. Then we take the time to read each scripture verse out loud at the start of our meal on Thanksgiving Day.
This fun project has been updated since it first appeared in 2013 with new photos and new DIY instructions. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!
Thanksgiving Place Cards
Below is a photo of myself and my mom a very long time ago. You can tell from the table setting that it is Thanksgiving. You can’t see the place cards, but they’re on top of each plate.
Back then my mom made them using index cards and stickers. It was fun to help her choose the stickers for each family member.
Thanksgiving Place Cards filled with thankful scripture verses are a great way to start your meal on Thanksgiving Day.
We each take turns reading our card; usually ending with the “head” of the household who then prays for the meal. Even the youngest family member can participate. Usually it’s just something simple like “Hallelujah” or “Thank you God.”
For something fun, you can watch my family and I reading our scripture place cards around the table HERE on a Facebook Live Video I did last year.
Material Needed for Thanksgiving Place Cards
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
- Blank Gift Cards or you can use Colorful Card Stock
- Mounting Tape Squares – these help hold the printed scripture verses inside the cards.
- Thanksgiving Stickers – there’s so many to choose from these days!
How to Make Thanksgiving Place Cards
- Start with a master list of thankful type scripture verses. Psalms is a great book of the Bible to start searching!
- You can also use the internet and Google to look for scripture verses.
- Next choose to either write the scripture verses out by hand or type them out and print them on paper.
- Cut the printed scripture verses to fit the inside of the gift cards. This step can be a little trial and error. You don’t want the print to be too small so people can’t read the verses but you also want to make sure they fit inside the cards.
- Use the mounting squares to attach the printed scripture verses to the inside of the cards.
- Decorate the front of the card by writing the name of the person and add a few fun stickers.
Why not create a beautiful Thanksgiving Centerpiece this year to go along with the scripture place cards?