What better way to get into the holiday spirit than with these delicious Christmas Cupcakes? They're made with an easy homemade chocolate cake batter and a delicious chocolate peppermint frosting.
The frosting is made from scratch and it's so good, you might just want to eat it by the spoonful!
These treats are perfect for your holiday family celebration or cookie gift exchange party. Don't forget to top each cupcake with a peppermint candy!
Check out all the other Christmas Snacks for even more delicious recipes.
Christmas is just around the corner, so it's time to start thinking about festive snacks for Christmas parties. Why not make homemade Easy Christmas Cupcakes with peppermint chocolate frosting?
They're super easy to make and the combination of rich chocolate and refreshing peppermint will bring Christmas cheer to any get-together. Plus, everybody loves a homemade treat!
Not only are these cupcakes delicious and comforting, they also look great - making them the perfect Christmas snack!
They're simple to make and everyone will love them. Plus, you can leave a plate of these out for Santa on Christmas Eve. I think his reindeer love chocolate!
Table of Contents
Looking for more easy desserts for Christmas snacking? Try my Candied Pecans, Christmas Snack Mix in a Jar and my Reindeer Christmas Treats.
💭Can you make cupcakes with cake mix?
This recipe for Christmas Cupcakes is a homemade chocolate recipe, however, you can use your favorite boxed cake mix.
Making cupcakes with cake mix is an easy and affordable way to take your Christmas event up a notch. While it might seem like a daunting task to whip up several dozen cupcakes from scratch, you can make the same delicious treats with hardly any effort by picking up some boxed cake mix instead.
And if you don't want to prepare the homemade frosting, go ahead and use your favorite canned frosting. You can even personalize your Christmas cupcakes according to everyone's tastes and preferences - add some festive sprinkles or mix up different flavors of cake mix so you have something for everyone!
Try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuffed Cupcakes for a fun surprise.
💭Can you use brownie mix to make cupcakes?
Christmas time is a great time to get creative in the kitchen, and baking Christmas snacks make it even more special. Have you ever considered using brownie mix to make cupcakes instead of traditional cake mixes?
Not only is it a much quicker method as all you have to do is follow the instructions on the back of the box, but these cupcakes can also incredibly delicious when topped with some Christmas sprinkles or festive icing! You'll get a batch of gorgeous cupcakes that your Christmas guests won't be able to resist.
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
12-Cup Muffin & Cupcake Pans,More InformationCookie Scoop SetMore InformationCupcake,donut filling Injector/Decorating Icing Set/cakeMore InformationPancake /Cupcake Batter Dispenser ToolMore InformationCupcake CorerMore Information
📋Main Ingredients Needed
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
- Cocoa Powder
- Espresso Powder
- Baking Powder
- Peppermint Extract
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Step 1 | Combine the Ingredients
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it begins to simmer.
- Then whisk in the cocoa powder and espresso powder. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl.
Step 2 | Cream the Butter
- Cream the butter and oil together and then add the eggs along with the peppermint extract.
- Beat until smooth.
Step 3 | Spoon into Cupcake Pan
- Now pour int he cocoa mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add the Christmas cupcake batter into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool while you prepare the homemade frosting.
Baking Tip: Cupcakes are completely baked when the internal temperature reaches 205° to 210°F. Or when you can insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
Step 4 | Prepare the Homemade Frosting
- Beat the whipping cream in a bowl until peaks begin to form.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar with the cocoa powder. Add this mixture to the whipped cream along with the peppermint extract.
- Continue beating until the frosting thickens.
Step 5 | Frost the Cupcakes
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Decorate with a peppermint candy before serving.
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
🍽Make it a Meal
- Especially now during the holidays, meal planning helps us all get dinner on the table.
- Check out the Weekly Meal Plans available here on the site. And while you're looking through the plans, make sure you head on over to Eat at Home for their subscription service where you can save 25% off any plan with the code WOS25.
- If you're not a fan of peppermint, you can easily flavor the frosting with vanilla extract or even almond extract.
- Decorate the cupcakes with fun Christmas sprinkles!
- Check out my other recipe for Reindeer Cupcakes or my Reindeer Cupcake Cake.
- Store the baked cupcakes in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- I find it best to freeze baked cupcakes without the frosting and then decorate once the frozen cupcakes have been defrosted.
Air-Tight Storage Containers: these air-tight storage containers that help keep food fresh for longer. Use them to store fresh baked goods, cookies, fruit and vegetables, left overs, and more. The silicone lids lock to close to ensure an air tight seal. The stackable, multi-size design makes these containers easy to store. They're perfectly sized for the fridge, freezer, or cupboard.
💭Top Recipe Tip
- Before filling the cupcakes with batter, spray the paper liners with non-stick cooking spray so the cupcakes do not stick when removing after they're baked.
🌟Try these recipes next...
Christmas Cupcakes with Chocolate Peppermint Frosting
Christmas Cupcakes made with an easy homemade chocolate cake batter and a delicious chocolate peppermint frosting.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons espresso powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the Frosting:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preaheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat. When the milk begins to simmer, whisk in the cocoa powder and espresso powder until well combined. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar and oil until well combined. Add the eggs and peppermint extract and beat to combine.
- Pour in the cocoa mixture and beat until smooth and mixed.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before icing them.
- To make the whipped cream frosting, add whipping cream to a chilled bowl and beat on medium speed until peaks begin to form.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Add the mixture to the cream along with the peppermint extract. Beat until the icing thickens and stiff peaks form.
- Pipe the frosting on top of each cupcake before serving
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Before filling the cupcakes with batter, spray the paper liners with non-stick cooking spray so the cupcakes do not stick when removing after they're baked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
Barbara at Mantel and Table says
Mmmmmmm! I love these! Thanks for all the tips - I'm so excited to try them!
Thank you for visiting!
These are so cute, and sound delicious. Can't wait to try them.
Thank you Janet!