An easy breakfast idea are these puff pastry circles filled with sweetened cream cheese and strawberry jam. This puff pastry recipe only looks complicated. In fact, if you can cut out circles with a biscuit cutter, you can put this recipe together.
Let me show you how to bake a delicious recipe that will not only taste like you purchased it at a bakery, but look just as pretty too.
This recipe uses frozen puff pastry sheets. If you've never worked with frozen puff pastry, you're in for a real treat.
Not only are the sheets incredibly easy to work with, but every recipe comes together fast and looks like you stopped at a bakery on your way home from work.
The only important thing you need to remember when working with puff pastry is to remove the package from the freezer the night before you want to bake this recipe.
Table of Contents
- 👩🍳Why does my Puff Pastry not puff up?
- 👩🍳What to put Cream Cheese on for Breakfast?
- 👩🍳How to Cut Puff Pastry into Shapes
- 🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Main Ingredients Needed
- Step-by-Step Instructions
- 1️⃣ Combine the Ingredients
- 2️⃣ Prepare the Puff Pastry
- 3️⃣Brush Puff Pastry with Egg Wash
- 4️⃣Baking Instructions
- 💡 Substitutions and Variations
- 🍶Storage Tips
- ➡️Top Recipe Tip
- 📇Recipe Card
- 💬 Comments
👩🍳Why does my Puff Pastry not puff up?
You need to keep the puff pastry cold while you're working with it. That way you're also keeping the butter in the many layers of dough chilled which will help the pastry puff up as it bakes.
The danish needs to be baked in a hot oven, at 400°F. That way the oven fills with steam from the cold pastry which will also help the dough rise and puff up.
👩🍳What to put Cream Cheese on for Breakfast?
Most people simply put cream cheese on toast or bagels for breakfast. However, for something different, you can try these puff pastry circles that are filled with sweetened cream cheese and topped with strawberry jam.
👩🍳How to Cut Puff Pastry into Shapes
- Always use a sharp knife, pastry cutter or cookie cutter when you are cutting puff pastry into shapes.
- A dull knife will tear the dough making it not puff up correctly while baking.
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
- Puff Pastry Sheet
- Powdered Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Heavy Cream
- Strawberry Jam
- Egg Wash
- Powdered Sugar Glaze
1️⃣ Combine the Ingredients
- In a medium bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Finallly add the milk and mix until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the puff pastry.
2️⃣ Prepare the Puff Pastry
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a round biscuit cutter, cut out shapes from the sheet of puff pastry. I was able to get 12 rounds from one sheet of purr pastry.
- Now using a smaller pastry cutter, press it on top of the circle and make an indenture. You don't want to go all the through, just enough to help the puff pastry rise around the filling and create a little wall of edge so the filling doesn't escape while baking.
- Add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of filling inside the center circle of each puff pastry.
- Then add a teaspoon of jam on top.
3️⃣Brush Puff Pastry with Egg Wash
- Brush the edges with the egg wash.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator to chill the dough for 30 minutes before baking.
📌Quick Tip: Place the tray in the refrigerator to chill the dough for 30 minutes before baking. This will make sure the dough goes into the oven cold which will givethe dough a better and bigger puff as it bakes.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.
- Allow the pastries to cool completely before adding the glaze. If you add it too soon, it will melt from the heat of the pastries.
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- You can try different flavorings for the cream cheese filling. If you want, you can try almond or lemon extract instead of the vanilla extract.
- Use a different flavored jam. Or do a combination of jams with the danish.
- Add chopped strawberries on top right before you drizzle with the powdered sugar glaze.
- Puff Pastry Circles should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- They will remain fresh like this for about a day.
- However, as with most puff pastry recipes, they are best eaten fresh.
➡️Top Recipe Tip
- Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature and combined completely before spreading it on top of the puff pastry.
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Puff Pastry is another delicious recipe that uses fresh raspberries.
- If you love chocolate, try my Chocolate Puff Pastry Twists or Chocolate Puff Pastry Braid...both are delicious!
For the Danish Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ¼ cup strawberry jam
For the Puff Pastry
- 1 sheet of puff pastry; thawed
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the puff pastry circles.
- Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out the puff pastry to help remove the fold lines.
- Using a 2 inch biscut cutter, cut out shapes from the sheet of puff pastry.
- Now using a smaller pastry cutter, press it on top of the circle and make an indenture. You don't want to cut all the way through, just enough to help the puff pastry rise around the filling and create a little wall or edge so the filling doesn't escape while baking.
- Place about 1 to 2 teaspoons of the filling inside the center of each puff pastry circle.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the strawberry jam on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the egg mixed with water.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the danish to cool for a minute before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Combine the ingredients for the glaze and drizzle on top before serving.
For this recipe, I used a 2 inch biscuit cutter for the large circle shape and a 1 ½ inch biscuit cutter for the inner circle.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 52mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.