A delicious and easy recipe for Homemade Queso Dip. Your family will love this easy appetizer recipe and you’ll love knowing there’s no fake cheese! That’s right, this recipe is made with real cheese and the taste is amazing.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2013 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!
Homemade Queso Dip Recipe
Homemade Queso Dip made without fake cheese. Who knew it was even possible. Do you love appetizers as much as I do? I’m always looking for new ones to make to serve for my family and friends. One of my favorites is serving dip and chips when we have guests over.
One of our family’s favorites is queso dip, but I’m not in love with fake cheese. Sorry to all you lovers of the blocks of fake cheese, but it doesn’t always sit well in my tummy.
My son loves the jar version of queso dip, but I knew I could make a homemade queso dip that would taste so much better and I think I did! I promise to never buy the jar or fake cheese again. And you will too once you taste how delicious this recipe is!
My son said the homemade queso dip wasn’t “hot” enough which is probably because I only used one jalapeno without any seeds or ribs. BUT…my daughter said it was perfect! So I guess it’s up to YOU on how much heat you want.
This recipe was so easy and can be made the day before your party or gathering. Just heat in the microwave or put the mixture in your crock pot to get it warm and bubbly again.
And if you really like this recipe, you’re going to love my recipe for Homemade Salsa. It is amazing. Both are perfect for summer barbecues or football parties.
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- Butter; 1 tbsp.
- Flour; 1 tbsp.
- Jalapenos; 1 to 2 with seeds removed and diced
- 1 can of green chillies; chopped
- 2 clovers of garlic; chopped
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes mild or whatever strength you desire
- 3 cups shredded cheese. I used a combination of cheddar and pepper jack
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make this Recipe
In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter and then add the flour.
Let the flour cook for a few minutes until slightly browned.
Add the jalapeno, garlic and green chillies and cook for a few minutes.
Then add the 1/2 cup of milk and stir until slightly thickened.
Add the can of tomatoes and continue to cook for a few minutes, until everything is combined.
Turn the heat down and start adding your cheese; a little at a time until the cheese is melted and combined. Remove from the heat and add the yogurt or sour cream.
Taste and adjust the seasonings by adding salt and/or pepper.
What Type of Cheese is Best for Homemade Queso Dip
- I love cheddar cheese, obviously for the color and taste.
- Pepper Jack is another great cheese to use that will add spice to the dip.
- If you want more of a white queso dip, try white cheddar cheese combined with Monterey Jack cheese.
Helpful Cooking Tips
- Depending on how spicy you like your queso dip, you may want to add some of the jalapeno ribs or seeds to the dip.
- Store any leftover dip in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- If you refrigerate the dip and notice it is too thick, simply add a little extra milk and reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals until it is the consistency you desire.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons – I cannot say enough about using stainless steel products when cooking.
- Cheese Grater – easy to use!
- Serving Bowl for Chips and Dip – I love the design of this one!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Lois_walkingonsunshinerecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #walkingonsunshinerecipes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 294mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
5 Secrets for Baking Delicious Desserts that Start with a Cake Mix!
Discover my secrets for making a delicious dessert that starts with an ordinary cake mix.