This week’s tip is all about how to Care and Clean Cast Iron Pans. We’ll also talk about seasoning and cooking with cast iron pans. And share a few delicious recipes that you can make using your perfect seasoned cast iron pans.
Tips on Cleaning and Caring for Cast Iron Pans
Do you have a cast iron pan? I have three different cast iron pans and I love them! There’s something about cooking in cast iron that brings extra flavor to your recipes. Today I’m going to share with you tips on how to clean and care for your cast iron pans.
Some people are extremely blessed to have cast iron pans that have been around for generations. I mean, some people pass their cast iron pans on to their children, then to their grandchildren and on and on. I wasn’t as fortunate.
I purchased my first cast iron pan about 12 years ago and I really do love it. It’s a cast iron grill pan and I use it primarily to cook steaks and hamburgers and the taste if amazing. Let me say that again, the taste is amazing.
How to Season a Cast Iron Pan:
Before you even begin cooking with cast iron, you need to season the pan. The grill pan that I purchased came pre-seasoned which is great. I didn’t have to go through these steps, but if your’s didn’t, here’s what you need to do.
- Wash the pan first with hot soapy water and dry completely. This will most likely be the only time you use soap on the cast iron pan.
- Then place the pan in preheated 375 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan and then using a paper towel coat the entire pan with about 1 tablespoon of vegetable shortening. You don’t want to use vegetable oil.
- Place the pan back in the oven for another 10 minutes, remove and pour out any excess fat.
- Place the pan back in the oven but this time turn it upside down and bake for one hour. T
- hen turn off the oven and let the pan cool completely.
Tip: Place a large piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven to catch the drippings.
What to Cook in a Cast Iron Pan:
What I love about cooking with a cast iron pan is that it can be used over high heat to brown and sear foods. I like to start my hamburgers or steak on top of the stove and sear the meat to get those beautiful marks that you see in the photo below and then finish cooking in the oven.
- You can also cook eggs, chicken and fish.
- Try baking cornbread and biscuits.
- I used a mini round cast iron pan to make a skillet chocolate chip cookie. The possibilities are endless!
How to Clean and Care for Cast Iron Pans:
So…you’ve made this amazing and delicious steak in your cast iron pan…now what? The most important things to remember are do NOT use soap, do NOT let your pan soak in water and please do NOT put your pan in the dishwasher.
- What I like to do is rinse the pan with very hot water.
- Then I’ll use a sponge, stiff brush or chainmail scrubber to clean.
- If you have some tough bits and pieces that won’t come off, you can pour kosher salt into the cast iron pan and then try scrubbing again with a damp sponge, paper towel or the stiff brush.
- Rinse the pan with hot water to remove the excess salt when you’re done.
- Dry the pan completely after you have cleaned it.
- You can also rub a very small amount of oil all over the inside of the pan.
- I like to place my pan in the oven that is still warm from cooking.
Tools to Help you Clean Cast Iron Pans
- Chainmail Scrubber – oh my word, this works amazing. I just started using it and I love it.
- Sponge with chainmail attached
- Cast Iron Pan Scrubbers – these are great. I have a few!
Check out these other recipes that use Cast Iron Pans:
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie is the perfect sweet treat for two to share. This is a delicious recipe to serve for Valentine’s Day or anniversary or date night. Serve warm from the oven with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Spinach Bacon Cheese Frittata is the perfect recipe to make for brunch when company is coming or you just want to celebrate the weekend with your husband! Dinner is ready FAST when you use a cast iron pan to roast chicken breasts.
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
Spinach Bacon Cheese Frittata
Cast Iron Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts
Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie is the perfect sweet treat for two to share. This is a delicious recipe to serve for Valentine’s Day or anniversary or date night. Serve warm from the oven with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.Continue Reading
Spinach Bacon Cheese Frittata is the perfect recipe to make for brunch when company is coming or you just want to celebrate the weekend with your husband!Continue Reading
Dinner is ready FAST when you use a cast iron pan to roast chicken breasts.Continue Reading
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.