Monterey Chicken Pasta Recipe - shredded chicken, smokey BBQ sauce, crispy bacon and Monterey Jack Cheese make a delicious and simple one-pan meal that everyone will love. Let me show you another Family Favorite Chicken Recipe that comes together in under 30 minutes.
For most people, chicken is a easy choice to make for dinner. And rightfully so! Chicken is healthy, it’s high in protein and lower in cholesterol than red meat. This recipe for Monterey Chicken and Pasta is a "copycat recipe" for Chili’s restaurant version of Monterey Chicken.
It combines my family's love for pasta and chicken together in one easy to make skillet recipe that's ready in 30 minutes. If you love the taste of barbecue chicken like my Air Fryer BBQ Chicken or even my Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, you're going to enjoy this recipe too!
The best part about this recipe is it's made all in one pan and is easy to clean up. Monterey Chicken and Pasta will definitely become one of your family's favorites.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
- Cast iron pan works great but so does a non-stick skillet!
- Box grater
- Wooden spoon - I love these bamboo wooden spoons. They never stain and wash up great in the dishwasher.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Cooked chicken - you can use leftover chicken or stop and purchase a rotisserie chicken on your way home from work. You can also make shredded chicken in your crock pot.
- Rotel Mild Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- Chicken Broth
- BBQ Sauce
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Green Onions
Cooking Tip: You can also cook chicken in the crock pot and then shred it to use in recipes like this one! Try my recipe for Shredded Crock Pot Chicken!
Step 1: Combine Ingredients Together
Place the pasta, chicken and Rotel tomatoes, do not drain, in a large skillet.
Step 2: Add the Chicken Broth and Bring to a Boil
Add in two cups of chicken broth and combine. Cover the skillet with a lid and turn the heat up to high, allow the mixture to come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so.
Step 3: Add the BBQ Sauce
Once the pasta is finished cooking and most of the liquid is absorbed, drizzle the BBQ sauce over the top of the skillet.
Step 4: Add the Cheese
Add the cheese on top. Place the lid back on top of the skillet and set the heat on low. Allow the mixture to cook for another five minutes or just long enough for the cheese to melt.
Top with crumbled bacon and chopped green onions right before serving.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
There are a few ways to cook chicken that you want to shred and use in recipes. You can poach the chicken in a pot of water or chicken broth. You can also use a crock pot or even an instant pot. Some people like to even broil or cook the chicken in the oven.
I usually use two forks to shred chicken. But a lot of people find using a hand mixer on low speed to break up the chicken into shreds or tiny pieces to use in recipes.
Rotel is a brand name for canned diced tomatoes with spices. They're usually found in the Mexican food section of your local grocery store. If you can't find this brand, you can substitute a can of diced tomatoes and a can of green chilies.
Ready for more great recipes? Try these other Family Favorite Chicken Recipes:
- There are quite a few recipes listed in my Family Favorite Chicken Recipes page that are perfect for dinner!
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wrapped in Bacon – it doesn’t get faster than cooking chicken in an air fryer. AND the chicken comes out incredibly tender and juicy.
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches – Need to get dinner on the table fast? Try this recipe for Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.
- Jalapeno Corn Muffins - this recipe doesn't need a side dish, but a plate of my cheesy jalapeno corn muffins would be great!
- 2 cups shredded pre-cooked chicken
- 1 - 10 ounce can Rotel mild diced tomatoes with green chiles
- ½ pound Rotini pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 slices cooked bacon
- 2 green onions; sliced
- Place the pasta, chicken, and Rotel (do not drain) tomatoes in a large skillet.
- Add in two cups of chicken broth and combine.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and turn the heat on to high, allow it to come to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
- After about 15 minutes the pasta should be almost cooked and most of the liquid absorbed.
- Drizzle the barbecue sauce over the top of the chicken and pasta. Add the shredded cheese.
- Put the heat on low, cover the skillet and allow the mixture to sit for about five minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Top with the crumbled bacon and green onions.
I used Rotini pasta because it cooks fast. You can substitute and use your favorite style.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 1175mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 21g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.