Made with boneless chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, brushed with your favorite BBQ sauce and sprinkle a little brown sugar on top, this recipe for Air Fryer BBQ Chicken is ready in 10 minutes!
The chicken is juicy and flavorful, and the bacon adds a delicious crispy texture. This recipe is perfect for dinner or a late night snack!
Grab the FREE Air Fryer Cooking Times printable available to help you cook everything to the right temperature all the time.
Check out my list of other Air Fryer Recipes for even more delicious ideas.
This delicious recipe for air fryer BBQ chicken wrapped in bacon is sure to be a hit with the whole family. The chicken is juicy and flavorful, and the bacon provides a crispy, savory counterpoint.
It's easy to make and only takes a few minutes to cook, so you can enjoy a delicious, Family Favorite Chicken Recipe that's a stress-free meal any night of the week. It's also great for snacking.
Make sure you check out the oven baking instructions included at the bottom of the post if you do not have an air fryer!
Looking for a larger portion of chicken for dinner tonight? Try my Air Fryer Chicken Wrapped in Bacon that uses a full chicken breast per serving.
Table of Contents
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast
- Is air fried chicken healthy?
- What should the internal temperature of chicken be?
- 🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Step-by-Step Instructions
- Air Fryer Cooking Instructions
- 📌How do I know when my Chicken is Done?
- 💡 Substitutions and Variations
- 🍽 Make it a Meal
- 🍶Storage Tips
- ❄️Freezing Tips
- 💡Recipe FAQ
- 🌟Try these recipes next...
- 📇Recipe Card
- 💬 Comments
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breast
The flavor is so intense with this recipe and yet the chicken is incredibly tender and juicy. Using the air fryer does not dry chicken out. Which is what I thought would happen.
This recipe is very similar to my Bacon Wrapped Crock Pot Chicken, only it's ready fast. The recipe takes about five minutes to assemble and then ten minutes of cooking in the air fryer. You can have dinner or a family snack ready in 15 minutes following this recipe.
Is air fried chicken healthy?
Cooking anything in the air fryer requires less oil than if you were going to fry foods traditionally, which right away makes the food healthier. Using an air fryer to cook chicken and other foods can help you cut calories by not using the added fat from oil.
What should the internal temperature of chicken be?
The USDA recommends cooking chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure that it is safe to eat. This temperature will kill any harmful bacteria that may be present in the meat.
When cooking chicken, be sure to use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, away from bone, and wait until the reading stabilizes.
Then, remove the chicken from the heat and let it rest for three to four minutes before cutting into it. This will help to ensure that the juices stay in the meat, making it more juicy and flavorful.
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - you can also use chicken tenders.
- Sliced bacon
- Barbecue sauce - your favorite brand. I like this bbq sauce. It's our favorite brand or try my Homemade Barbecue Sauce that's made with only three ingredients.
- Brown sugar - I used light brown sugar, but you can use dark brown sugar if that's what you have in your pantry.
- Salt and pepper to taste - I love using my Homemade Salt, Pepper Garlic seasoning blend.
📌Quick Tip: No need for toothpicks! The bacon stays put without them!
- Step 1: Slice the boneless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. I like to lay my raw chicken and meat on Parchment Baking Sheets to make cleanup easier. It also helps keeps surfaces sanitary and not spread any germs.
- Step 2: Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper or use my Seasoning Salt Blend.
- Step 3: Next, slice the bacon strips in half. Wrap a half of bacon slice around each piece of chicken and place on a clean plate.
- Step 4: Use a pastry brush to spread the barbecue sauce over both sides of the chicken.
- Step 5: Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the chicken pieces. If you're trying to watch your sugar intake, you can skip this step.
Air Fryer Cooking Instructions
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Close the tray and bake for 5 minutes in the 400 degrees preheated air fryer.
- Open the air fryer and flip the chicken pieces.
- Close the air fryer and cook the chicken for the remaining 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165°F.
📌How do I know when my Chicken is Done?
- Make sure you use a Digital Meat Thermometer to accurately test if the chicken is fully cooked.
- As you can see from the photo, the chicken is reading at 168 degrees. It's cooked perfect!
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- You can prepare this air fryer recipe using a traditional oven by following the preparation steps above only place the chicken bites on a baking sheet that's been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
🍽 Make it a Meal
These chicken bites are perfect for a snack served with my favorite dipping sauces. You can also make them into a meal by adding one of these delicious side dishes:
- Twice Baked Potatoes - my son's favorite potato recipe.
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes - prep-ahead directions!
- A tossed salad with homemade ranch salad dressing is always nice too.
- Allow the chicken to cool completely to room temperature before transferring them to an airtight container.
- It is important to wait until they are no longer warm in order to prevent any potential bacteria growth.
- Then, place the container in the fridge and consume within two to five days of storing.
- You can also freeze your leftovers in a sealed freezer bag or container for up to three months.
- Make sure to thaw the pieces overnight before reheating them when ready to eat!
Air-Tight Storage Containers: these air-tight storage containers that help keep food fresh for longer. Use them to store fresh baked goods, cookies, fruit and vegetables, left overs, and more. The silicone lids lock to close to ensure an air tight seal. The stackable, multi-size design makes these containers easy to store. They're perfectly sized for the fridge, freezer, or cupboard.
Simply click the plus sign to read more about the questions you see below. If YOU have a question regarding this recipe, please let me know in the comment section.
Prepare the chicken that's been seasoned and spread with your favorite bbq sauce on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray). Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
You can cook frozen chicken breasts or tenderloins in the air fryer for 15 minutes at 360 degrees stopping halfway through to flip the chicken breasts.
🌟Try these recipes next...
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 7 slices of bacon; sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees while you prepare the chicken.
- Prepare the chicken by slicing each chicken breast into 7 even strips, so you have 14 pieces total.
- Wrap each piece of chicken with one of the strips of bacon.
- Brush the chicken with the barbecue sauce.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into the air fryer basket that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Close the tray and bake for 5 minutes in the 400 degrees preheated air fryer.
- Open the air fryer and flip the chicken pieces. Close the air fryer and cook the chicken for the remaining 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165 degrees.
Oven Baking Instructions:
If you do not have an air fryer and would like to try this recipe, here are easy baking instructions for you:
- Prepare the chicken as instructed above.
- Then place the chicken bites on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil (sprayed with non-stick cooking spray).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 317mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 7g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2020 with new information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!