Easy to make and incredibly delicious, these Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies are perfect all year round, but especially during the holidays. Let me show you how to make these rich, decadent cookies that are freezer friendly too!
12 Days of Christmas Cookies
I hope you’re enjoying the new Christmas cookie recipes I’m sharing with you. Day #5 continues with Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies. These cookies are a twist on the shortbread cookies I posted the other day that started our cookie celebration.
Let’s take a look at the other cookies I’ve shared so far this week:
- Heart Shaped Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies
- Slice and Bake Cookies with Sprinkles
- Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- Classic Oatmeal Cookies
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies
One of my favorite cookies are the Heart Shaped Shortbread Cookies on my site. However, sometimes it’s a lot of work to roll out the cookie dough, cut into shapes and then bake.
Lately I’ve been finding it easier to make the shortbread into slice and bake cookies. I even like to freeze the logs of cookie dough as a way to prep ahead for baking for holidays.
Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies Ingredients
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 3 sticks of butter softened (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Vanilla – 1 tablespoon
- 3 cups flour
- candy melts – if you choose to dip the cookies in melted chocolate, which I highly recommend.
How to Make Slice and Bake Cookies
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla until they are just combined.
Now, we need to add the flour, a little at a time until all is added. Then mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. You’ll know the dough is ready when you can make a small disc in your hands with the dough and it doesn’t fall apart.
Remove the dough from the bowl onto a floured surface and shape into 2 discs and then into 2 logs about 12 inches long. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 to 60 minutes. At this stage, you can also freeze the logs in freezer safe plastic bags for up to 1 month.
How to Slice the Cookies
Cut each log into 24 slices. Place shortbread slices 1 inch apart on lightly greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
Then place the baking trays back in the refrigerator to chill for another 30 minutes before baking.
How to Bake the Cookies
Bake shortbread slices in a 350 degree preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of slices are golden.
Remove shortbread from baking sheets, and place on wire racks. Let cool completely before dipping in the melted chocolate.
Tips for Baking Shortbread Cookies
- Always chill the dough before baking.
- Wrap the dough up and place in the refrigerator for up to one hour before even attempting to slice.
- After you have sliced the logs, place the slices on Parchment Baking Sheets and then place the Baking Trays in the refrigerator to chill again before baking. This will help chill the butter in the cookies so they keep their shape while baking.
- If you bake the cookies while the dough is at room temperature, the butter in the cookies will being to melt in the oven causing the cookies to spread.
How to Dip Shortbread Cookies in Melted Chocolate
Now comes the fun part! Let’s make these cookies even more delicious by dipping one part of them in melted chocolate. You can use chocolate bark or candy melts to dip the cookies in.
Melt the chocolate according to the package directions.
Make sure the cookies have cooled completely before dipping half the cookie into melted chocolate. You can even dip the cookie into chopped walnuts, colored sprinkles. chopped peppermint candies immediately after dipping them in the melted chocolate. I like to sometimes drizzle melted white chocolate on top of the cookies!
Place the cookies on a piece of wax paper to completely harden before storing in plastic containers.
How to Store and Freeze Baked Cookies
Allow the cookies to cool completely to room temperature before storing in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. Make sure you layer the cookies between parchment paper so the cookies don’t stick to each other. If it’s warm in your house, the cookies should be stored in the refrigerator so the chocolate doesn’t melt.
You can also freeze the baked cookies and store in the freezer for up to two months.
Place the cookies in a single layer on Parchment Baking Sheets to flash freeze them for about 60 minutes. Once the cookies are frozen, store them in a freezer-safe plastic bag. Make sure you label and date the cookies.
Tips for Freezing Shortbread Cookie Dough
- This is a great cookie to prep ahead and freeze to bake at a later time.
- Once you divide the dough into two logs, wrap them in plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped logs in a freezer safe bag and then place in the freezer making sure you date them.
- The dough can be frozen for up to a month.
- When you’re ready to bake cookies, remove the logs from the freezer to defrost on the counter for about 30 minutes before slicing. Continue with baking directions above.
How to Give Frozen Cookie Dough as Gifts
Another great idea is to give a log or two of frozen shortbread dough as a hostess gift around the holiday season.
- You can easily print out the directions and attach to the dough.
- Purchase some pretty holiday designed parchment paper to wrap the dough logs in.
- Include really cute handmade with love stickers to seal the parchment paper.
- You can even order personalized homemade from my kitchen personalized stickers on Amazon!
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS COOKIE RECIPES
Make sure you check out these other Christmas Cookies featured for Day #5 from a few of my foodie friends joining in on the celebration.
- Flour On My Face: Chocolate Peppermint Blossom Cookies
- Walking on Sunshine Recipes: Slice and Bake Shortbread Cookies – this recipe
- Glenda Embree: Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies
- Fat Dad Foodie: Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Lois_walkingonsunshinerecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #walkingonsunshinerecipes
Melt the chocolate according to the directions on the back of the package label. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 55mg Carbohydrates: 9g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g
Melt the chocolate according to the directions on the back of the package label.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ENTER THE 12 Days of Christmas Cookies KITCHENAID MIXER GIVEAWAY
Official Rules and Conditions for the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies KitchenAid Mixer Giveaway: One winner will be receive a KitchenAid Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield (Value $279.00 USD). Open to US residents adults 18+. One (1) winner will be chosen. This Prize must be claimed within 48 hours of announcement or a new winner will be drawn. Prize will be delivered via Amazon. All entries will be verified. This giveaway is in no way associated with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Rafflecopter, Amazon, KitchenAid or any other entity unless otherwise specified. Giveaway ends December 12th, 2019 at midnight. Bloggers are not responsible for the delivery of the prize. Enter using the widget below: