Chicken Cacciatore Skinny Taste Style is a healthy version of the traditional recipe cooked in the slow cooker till the chicken and vegetables are tender.
I love being able to put a meal together early in the morning and come home from a busy to having dinner waiting for me. What’s even better is the smell that greets you after a long day of work or running errands! Life is really so much easier when I know I can have dinner almost ready as soon as we get home.
This chicken cacciatore recipe is one I found on Skinny Taste blog a few years ago. I made a few adjustments from the original recipe but it turned out amazing.
What is Chicken Cacciatore
Cacciatore in Italian means hunter and is first prepared by browning the chicken in oil and then adding onions, herbs and peppers cooked together with tomatoes for about an hour until the chicken is tender.
However, this recipe for chicken cacciatore uses the slow cooker to cook the chicken with the peppers and onions slow and low until the chicken is ready to fall apart and the tomatoes have thickened into a delicious sauce to serve over your choice of pasta.
How to Make Chicken Cacciatore
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bag of frozen peppers and onions
- 1- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 to 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper; to taste
- Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Trust me, you’ll be happy you did when it comes time to clean up!
- Add the chicken breasts, bag of peppers and onions, Italian seasoning to the slow cooker.
- Pour the can of crushed tomatoes on top.
- Cook the chicken on lowfor 4 hours or high for 8 hours.
- When the chicken is done, serve over cooked rice or noodles and season with salt and pepper if needed.
What type of Chicken works Best
- Traditional chicken cacciatore uses chicken thighs, but I am not a fan of chicken thighs, so I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts which is what I had on hand.
- Bone in chicken breasts would be even better because the bone will give you so much flavor as it cooks in the crock pot.
Take the lid off the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes of cooking to help thicken the sauce.
What to Serve with Chicken Cacciatore
- Serve chicken cacciatore over pasta, gnocchi, rice or even egg noodles like I did. Some people prefer to serve roasted potatoes as well. A nice salad or even broccoli sauteed in butter and garlic is delicious.
- You never go wrong with serving garlic bread or even my recipe for Garlic Monkey Bread is perfect.
- Just before serving grate some fresh Parmesan cheese on top.
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Basil
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Cutlets Italian Style
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
During the last 30 minutes of cooking, remove the lid of the slow cooker which will help thicken the sauce. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 699mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 41g
During the last 30 minutes of cooking, remove the lid of the slow cooker which will help thicken the sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
5 Secrets for Baking Delicious Desserts that Start with a Cake Mix!
Discover my secrets for making a delicious dessert that starts with an ordinary cake mix.