Check out all the other Christmas Cookies to bake for your family this holiday season.
Cake mix cookies are delicious and easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients, you can make these delicious Christmas cookies with peppermint candies in no time!
They're perfect for parties or cookie exchange party, because they're quick and easy to make. And since they're so versatile, you can make different flavors to suit everyone's tastes.
They make great gifts or treats for any holiday gathering so why not give them a try this season?
Looking for more Easy Desserts and Christmas Cookies with peppermint flavoring? Peppermint Christmas Cookies, Peppermint Blossom Cookies, Peppermint Oreo Truffles or even my Semi-Homemade Thin Mint Cookies.
Table of Contents
Can I make these cookies ahead of time?
Yes! You can make cake mix cookies ahead of time and store them in an airtight container or freeze for later. If freezing, be sure to place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet and freeze until solid before transferring to a freezer bag or container.
When you're ready to bake, simply remove from the freezer, place on a prepared baking sheet, and bake according to the instructions listed in the recipe.
What are some other flavor variations I could try?
Cake mix cookies make a great snack or dessert for any occasion; especially around the holidays. Everyone wants to bake, but it can be time-consuming.
They're perfect for a quick and easy dessert when you don't have much time to cook. With a few simple steps, you can have freshly baked cake mix cookies in about 15 minutes.
By using a cake mix to create delicious cookies, you'll have more time to get creative! You can add chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, sprinkles or crushed peppermint candies like I do with this recipe.
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
📋Main Ingredients Needed
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
Baking Tip: This recipe calls for adding baking powder to the cake mix. Baking powder is a leavening agent that helps cookies rise. It also makes them fluffy and gives them a slightly crisp crust.
Adding the teaspoon of baking powder to the mix also helps boost the freshness of the cake mix. Because, let’s be honest, sometimes we have cake mixes sitting in our pantry for a long time. Check out my 5 Cake Mix Baking Secrets for more information.
- Step 1: Combine the cake mix with the baking soda.
- Step 2: Then add the eggs and melted butter.
- Step 3: Mix until fully combined.
- Bake the cookies in a preheated 350°F oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before decorating.
Frost and Decorate the Cookies
- Cream the butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and flavoring.
- Continue to mix until light and fluffy.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting on top of the cookies.
- Then top wit the chopped peppermint candies.
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
- You can swap out the crushed peppermint candies for mini chocolate chips or Christmas sprinkles.
- Check out my other recipe for Leftover Candy Cane Cookies that are a homemade cookie batter version of this cookie.
- Store the baked cookies in an air-tight container in a dark cool place.
- You can also freeze the baked cookies by placing the cooled cookies on a baking tray in the freezer.
- If you want to freeze the cookies, do not freeze them with the frosting.
- "Flash freeze" the baked cookies first by laying them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Then place the baking sheet in the freeze and allow the cookies to harden for about 30 minutes. Then place the cookies in a plastic storage container with parchment baking sheets or waxed paper in between each layer.
- Frozen cookies should remain fresh in the freezer for up to three months.
- When you defrost the cookies, prepare the frosting as directed above.
Store fresh-baked cookies in an air-tight container. Cookies will remain fresh if stored in a cool, dry place. I like to put the container in the back of my pantry closet. Stored this way cookies should stay fresh for up to 7-10 days.
My Favorite Baking Trays: 3-piece nonstick cookware set includes the small, medium, and large size. These are non-stick carbon steel bakeware set with red silicone handles.
For the cookies:
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box vanilla cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
For the frosting:
- ½ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 - 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ cup chopped peppermint candy
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer or using a hand mixer, combine together the cake mix and the baking powder.
- Add in the melted butter and eggs. Beat on low until fully incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop 1 ½ tablespoon sized balls onto the baking trays. Space them a few inches apart to leave room for the cookies to spread.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until the tops are set and the edges are slightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool in the pan completely before decorating.
Prepare the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Then add the powdered sugar a little at a time and mix until combined.
- Add both the vanilla and peppermint extracts and salt. Mix again until well incorporated and you have a smooth, easily spreadable frosting.
- Once the cookies have cooled, use a small icing spatula to frost about 1 tablespoon of frosting on each cookies.
- Finally, sprinkle the cookies with the chopped peppermints.
Adding the teaspoon of baking powder to the mix also helps boost the freshness of the cake mix.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 330mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 0gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.