Whether it's baked in the turkey or in a casserole dish, these Classic Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipes perfect for your holiday celebration.
From classic herb-infused bread stuffing to creative variations like sausage and apple stuffing, you'll find the perfect side dish recipe to prepare for your holiday celebration.
Check out the other easy recipes for Thanksgiving to complete your holiday celebration!
It wouldn't be a holiday celebration with stuffing. It goes with turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes. Kind of like peanut butter and jelly.
Discover the ultimate collection of Thanksgiving stuffing recipes to elevate your holiday feast. Start off with my classic stuffing recipe and then check the ones featured below.
Table of Contents
What is the Difference between Stuffing and Dressing?
I've always differentiated the two words with how the recipe is cooked:
- Stuffing you cook inside the turkey.
- Dressing is baked or cooked outside the turkey in a casserole dish.
Did you grow up calling it dressing? Or did you call it stuffing? We always called it stuffing. My mom always stuffed the bird with the dressing.
Fast forward to NOW when I host Thanksgiving, I do not "stuff the turkey", but I still refer to it as stuffing. I currently live in Pennsylvania and people here call it "filling."
To sum all this up, it really has to do what part of the country you live in or were raised in.
⏲Prep Ahead Tips
- Simply mix the ingredients together, cover tightly with aluminum foil. I like to use casserole dishes with lids.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Bring to room temperature before baking according to the recipe directions.
📌Quick Tip: Do not move your glass casserole dish from one temperature extreme to the other. You need the Pyrex dish to come to room temperature. If you were to put the cold baking dish in the oven, the dish could burst due to the rapid heat difference of a hot oven. Let it sit on the counter top for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Allow the stuffing to come to room temperature.
- Store any leftovers covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Unbaked stuffing that contains eggs can be stored in the refrigerator for only 1 day. I like to only store it overnight.
- Allow the stuffing to cool completely before freezing.
- Portion the stuffing into freezer-safe containers. You can divide it into individual servings or freeze it in larger batches, depending on your needs.
- Remove as much air as possible from the containers or bags to prevent freezer burn.
- Prepared stuffing can be safely frozen for up to 3 months
🔁 Thawing and Reheating Tips
- When you're ready to enjoy the frozen stuffing, simply thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat the stuffing in the oven or microwave until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F to make sure it is safe to eat.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Get your Ad-Free Digital Cookbook Today!
📇Featured Recipe Collection
Before You Begin!
If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.