Made with buttery refrigerated dough, these crescent roll apple dumplings taste like apple pie, only they're easier to make. Drizzle with homemade caramel sauce right before serving. This crescent roll recipe is going to make your house smell amazing as they bake. And the good news is they're ready fast!
I love to use refrigerator dough to make easy desserts the whole family loves. You can use crescent roll dough for either savory or sweet recipes.
This was inspired by my apple dumplings recipe on this site, only this recipe doesn't use soda to bake the dumplings in. The end result for this recipe is more of a turnover pastry or danish dessert.
Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings would be perfect to serve for dessert with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream. Don't serve with ice cream if you plan on using this recipe for a weekend brunch.
Table of Contents
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Crescent Rolls
- Light Brown Sugar - you'll need brown sugar for the apples and the homemade caramel sauce.
- Butter - melted
- Chopped pecans - you could substitute chopped walnuts if you prefer.
- Granny Smith Apple - you could substitue another variety of apple, but try to use one that will hold up when baked.
- Vanilla Extract
Step 1 | Prepare the Crescent Rolls
- Open the can of crescent rolls and separate them. Place them on top of a piece of parchment paper on the counter.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a small bowl. Add about 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the top of each crescent roll.
- Add ½ tablespoon of the pecans to the top of the sugar mixture on each crescent roll.
- Slice the apple into 8 even slices and add it to the melted butter. Add one apple slice the wide end oof the crescent roll.
Step 2 | Baking Instructions
- Beginning with the large end, roll up the crescent rolls.
- Brush each roll with the remaining melted butter.
- Place the rolls on top of a baking tray that's been lined with a fresh piece of parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Step 3 | Drizzle with Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine the ingredients for the homemade caramel sauce. Bring to a boil and allow the mixture to cook for 2 minutes until the caramel thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Drizzle over the crescent roll apple dumplings and serve.
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
- Peaches- pretty much any hard fruit will work with this recipe. Fresh sliced peaches would be delicious.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze- instead of drizzling with the homemade caramel sauce, make an easy homemad powdered sugar glaze to drizzle on top.
- See peach dumplings version of this recipe on my website!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can reheat the apple dumplings in the microwave.
- These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Top Recipe Tip
Make sure the crescent rolls are rolled up tight and the end piece is pressed securely into the dough so the rolls do not come apart while baking.
For the Dumplings
- 1 package refrigerator crescent rolls; 8 count
- ¼ light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter; melted
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and cut into 8 even slices.
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar; packes
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Prepare the Apple Dumplings
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a piece of parchment paper, unroll the crescent rolls and divide them into 8 triangle sections.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add 2 tablespoons of that mixture to the top of each crescent roll triangle.
- Divide the chopped pecans evenly among the 8 crescent roll triangles and place on top of the sugar mixture.
- Toss the apple slices in the 4 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Add one apple slice to the wide end of each crescent roll.
- Roll each crescent roll up starting with the wide end. Tusk the narrow end under.
- Brush the tops of the crescent rolls with the remaining butter and place the rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the crescent rolls begin to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before drizzling the caramel sauce on top.
Prepare the Homemade Caramel Sauce
- While the apple dumplings are baking, prepare the caramel sauce.
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the caramel sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Drizzle on top of the baked apple dumplings.
Tuck the ends of the crescent rolls under so the rolls do not come apart while baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.