A few store-bought ingredients are all you need to make this easy recipe for Apple Dumplings. This recipe is a slightly different from the very popular Peach Dumplings Recipe you all love. Let me show you how to make a super fast, comforting dessert made with all the flavors of fall!
It doesn’t get any easier than taking apple wedges tossed with sweet cinnamon/sugar, wrapped in crescent rolls and then baked in a fun lemon lime soda. Yes, you read that correctly. This is an easy semi-homemade recipe for Apple Dumplings made with lemon lime soda!
Once baked, it’s hard to tell you used refrigerated crescent roll dough instead of a traditional pie dough recipe. Sweet and tart at the same time, these apple dumplings are sure to be a winner!
Best served warm from the oven with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and maybe a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.
What are the Best Apples to Use for Apple Dumplings?
The following apples all hold their shape well during cooking and taste delicious in different recipes. A good tip is to mix a few different apples in recipes to come up with the flavor you and your family like best.
- Golden Delicious
- Northern Spy are perfect for homemade applesauce.
- Honey Crisp – which is what I used for this recipe.
Can I substitute Mountain Dew Soda?
The answer to this question is YES! I have made this recipe a few times using 7-Up Soda and Sprite. You want to use a lemon-lime flavored soda and make sure it’s not diet.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Refrigerated Crescent Rolls – 2 cans, 8 ounce size each
- Two apples
- Cinnamon/sugar mixture
- White sugar
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup Mountain Dew Soda
How to Prepare the Apples
The first few times I made this recipe, I sliced the apples way too thin. And then I remembered this Apple Corer tool sitting in my basket of kitchen utensils. It’s perfect for this recipe!
This tool gives you eight slices out of one apple which is exactly what you need for one package of crescent rolls. How easy is that?
Begin by peeling both apples. Then slice both apples using the apple core tool so you have a total of 16 slices. Sprinkle the one tablespoon of cinnamon/sugar mixture on top and set aside while you prepare the crescent rolls.
How to Wrap the Apples in Crescent Rolls
Unwrap the two containers of crescent rolls and separate the triangles. Place one apple wedge on the biggest corner of each crescent roll triangle.
Starting at the biggest corner, begin rolling up the apple inside the crescent roll. Easy, right? And yes, I am using my favorite Parchment Baking Sheets again for this recipe.
Not only are these Parchment Baking Sheets great for baking, but they’re great for prep work! Makes cleanup so much easier.
How to Prepare the Butter Sugar Mixture
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar and then vanilla. Stir gently to combine. The mixture will be thick and clumpy
Remove the mixture from heat and pour evenly over the dumplings. being careful to make sure they are all covered. Pour the one cup of soda around the rolls, not over the rolls.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and the tops of the dumplings are golden brown.
Cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. A drizzle of caramel sauce works great too!
Sweet and tart at the same time, these apple dumplings are sure to be a winner!
Ready for more great recipes?
- Best Apple Pie Recipes for Thanksgiving
- Apple Dump Cake
- Easy Apple Puff Pastry Danish
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Easy Italian Apple Cake
- Refrigerated Crescent Rolls - 2 cans, 8 ounce size each
- Two apples
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon/sugar mixture
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Mountain Dew Soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss the apples with the cinnamon/sugar mixture in a large bowl. Set aside while you prepare the crescent rolls.
- Unroll the cans of crescent roll dough and spread out flat on top of a cutting board. Gently separate each roll so you have 16 individual triangles.
- Place one apple wedge on top of an individual triangle of crescent roll dough. Starting from the thickest end of the roll, gently roll the apple up in the dough. Repeat with remaining apple wedges and rolls.
- Place the dumplings in the bottom of a 9X13 rectangle baking dish that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the sugar and then vanilla. Stir gently to combine. The mixture will be thick and clumpy. Remove the mixture from heat and pour evenly over the dumplings. being careful to make sure they are all covered.
- Pour the one cup of soda around the rolls, not over the rolls.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly and the tops of the dumplings are golden brown.
- Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar. A drizzle of caramel sauce works great too!
For this recipe I used two Honey Crisp apples.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2009 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them! Can you believe it’s been 10 years since I originally posted this recipe?