Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix Donuts are perfect for Fall and are so easy to make when you use a boxed cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree. Sprinkled with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar they’re another one of my easy pumpkin dessert recipes that I enjoy making for my family.
Do you love pumpkin as much as I do? One of my favorite things about Fall is pumpkin. And I really don’t know why we only enjoy the taste of pumpkin in the Fall, but it is what it is.
Recipes using spice cake mix like these pumpkin spice cake mix donuts are much easier recipe to make than the Pumpkin Glazed Donuts with Crumb Topping also available on the blog.
I know you’re going to love the taste but maybe you’ll love how easy they are to make even more.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
- Donut pan – I actually own TWO of them. Makes it easy when making donuts. The donuts come out great. Just make sure you spray the pan before adding the batter.
- Cookie Scoops – using these really helps get the batter into the pan.
- Silicone Pastry Bags – these help too with getting the batter into the donut pans.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree; not pumpkin pie filling
- 3 eggs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together cake mix, pumpkin puree and eggs. Spread mixture into the donut pan that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Bake the donuts for 10-15 minutes or until they spring back when pressed lightly with your finger.
Once they’ve cooled enough to be removed from the pan, dip each donut in melted butter. Then dip the donut in a cinnamon/sugar mixture. Easy and delicious!
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don’t forget to rate it!
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
Pumpkin puree is just as the can says, it’s cooked, pureed pumpkin. Nothing has been added to it. On the other hand pumpkin pie filling is flavored with spices such as cinnamon, clove, allspice and ginger. There’s also sugar added to pumpkin pie filling. It’s an easy way to make pumpkin recipes with all the spices and sugar added.
Place the donuts on a baking tray that’s been lined with parchment paper and then place the tray in the freezer to flash freeze the donuts for about 30 minutes.Remove the frozen donuts and place in a freezer safe container or plastic bag.You can freeze the donuts for up to 2 monthsThaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm up to your liking in the microwave.
Since this recipe calls for only 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree, you will have leftovers from the 15 ounce size can. You can add the leftover pumpkin puree to ice cube trays and freeze until solid. Then remove the frozen cubes and place in a freezer safe bag.
Ready for More Great Donut Recipes?
- Canned Biscuit Donuts
- Baked Chocolate Glazed Donuts
- Chocolate Donuts from a Cake Mix with Sprinkles
- Pumpkin Glazed Donuts with Crumb Topping
For the Donuts
- 1 box spice cake mix; 15.25 ounce size
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree; NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
For the Cinnamon/Sugar Topping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs and melted butter.
- Mix until combined.
- Add the mixture to a plastic pastry bag.
- Twist the end of the bag and snip one corner with the kitchen scissors.
- Gently squeeze the batter into the wells of the donut pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- Use a butter knife to spread the donut batter out smoothly.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the donuts comes out clean.
- Let the donuts cool slightly before removing them from the pan.
- Stir the sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow bowl.
- Working one at a time, brush the donuts with the melted butter, then dip them in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Place the donuts on a baking tray that's been lined with parchment paper and then place the tray in the freezer to flash freeze the donuts for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the frozen donuts and place in a freezer safe container or plastic bag.
- You can freeze the donuts for up to 2 months.
- Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm up to your liking in the microwave.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 301mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2016 with updated information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!