Egg Omelet in a Mug is a keto-friendly breakfast recipe that's ready in under five minutes. In fact, it's the perfect breakfast idea to make when you're heading out the door for work in the morning.
Egg Omelet in a Mug
For breakfast this morning, I cooked an egg omelet in a mug in my microwave and it was delicious. As a matter of fact, I was quite surprise at how easy the recipe came together.
Breakfast was ready for me in 5 minutes and that includes cracking the eggs and getting my favorite veggies chopped. Think of all the money you'll save by not having to go to a drive thru on your way to work or school and order an egg sandwich or a bagel with cream cheese.
Not to mention, there's no frying pan to clean!
Not only "is it safe to cook an egg in the microwave," you can also poach, scramble or even fry them. Well it's not technically "frying" but you can create a tasty omelette using the microwave.
You can even make a hard-boiled egg in the microwave if you pierce the bottom of the shell first.
Keto-Friendly Breakfast Recipe
Enjoying an Egg Omelet in a Coffee Mug is a healthy way and low-carb way to start your day as well. Depending on what you add to the mug, you can make this a keto-friendly recipe as well.
You can also substitute egg whites in place of the whole eggs. Another great idea is to do one whole egg an done egg white.
Add more veggies! Add chopped ham! Add leftover chicken from dinner the night before. The possibilities are endless with this recipe.
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 2 eggs
- ½ tbsp chopped green peppers
- 1 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- ½ tablespoon sliced grape tomatoes - if you want to keep this recipe completely keto-friendly, you should probably omit the tomatoes.
- 1 tsp chopped green onions
Break the eggs into the mug first and then using a fork, break them up by scrambling lightly. Then add the veggies and cheese.
How Long to Cook an Egg in the Microwave
Place the coffee mug in the microwave and then cook on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until the eggs are cooked through. Be careful when removing the coffee mug from the microwave. It will be hot!
Season with salt and pepper pr maybe a dash or two of hot sauce, and breakfast is ready!
How do you keep the Egg from Exploding?
We're only cooking the egg for a few minutes so it shouldn't explode. Although, you could place a saucer on top of the mug to be safe.
Just be careful when removing the coffee mug from the microwave. It will be hot, so make sure you use a pot holder or dish towel to wrap around the mug.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes:
- Spinach Bacon Cheese Frittata
- Banana Nut Bread
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Spinach Bacon Cheese Frittata - this is the recipe I make almost every week for my family when we come home from church. It's easy and delicious.
- 2 eggs
- ½ tablespoon chopped green peppers
- 1 tablespoon grated cheddar cheese
- ½ tablespoon sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chopped green onions
- Spray the inside of a coffee mug with cooking spray.
- Add the eggs to the cup and whisk together using a fork.
- Then add the green peppers, grape tomatoes, cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Stir together until combined.
- Place the coffee mug in the microwave and cook on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until the eggs are cooked
- You can easily adjust the ingredients and add your favorite omelet fillings.
- Be careful when removing the coffee mug from the microwave. It will be hot!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 379mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2018 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!