Patriotic Cupcakes are the perfect addition to any 4th of July Foods menu to help you celebrate summer. These fun red, white and blue cupcakes are made with a homemade red velvet cake recipe and are sure to be hit for any entertaining or family party.
This recipe uses a homemade red velvet cake recipe unlike my Red Velvet 4th of July Cake that starts our with a cake mix. You could use a cake mix as well for this recipe if you prefer.
These cupcakes are red, white and blue and the perfect way to show your love for our country. The cake part of the cupcakes is red. While the frosting is white and the fun cupcake liner is blue. All the colors of our flag in one cute little dessert.
Incidentally, if you love patriotic desserts, you're going to really love my Flag Fruit Pizza made with a Sugar Cookie Crust that is really popular on the site.
Homemade Red Velvet Cake Cupcakes
This is a homemade red velvet cake and homemade cream cheese frosting recipe. But you can definitely substitute a red velvet cake mix with cream cheese canned frosting. Hey, I get it...we're all busy, so no stressing out over baking something yummy from scratch.
Adding red food coloring to the batter really gives you a deep red colored cake. Be careful you don't get any food coloring on your clothing!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
- Cupcake/Muffin Pan
- Blue Cupcake Liners - I like to use two sets of cupcake liners to help make the cupcakes look extra special.
- Cookie Scoop - this is really the easiest way to fill a muffin or cupcake pan. I actually have cookie scoops in a few different sizes.
- Star Sprinkles
- Wilton Decorating Tool
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Cocoa powder
- Vegetable oil
- Red food coloring
- White vinegar
- Vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Frosting:
- Cream cheese; softened
- Butter; softened
- Powdered sugar
Step 1: Prepare the Cupcake Batter
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
In a separate bowl, mix together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well until combined.
Add the batter to the cupcake liners using a cookie scoop. Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full.
Baking Tip: I always spray my cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray before adding the batter. That way the cupcake comes out clean! It really does work!
Step 2: Baking Instructions
Bake the cupcakes in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes.
How do you know when cupcakes are done?
There are two ways you can tell when a cupcake is done. The first is by inserting a toothpick into the center of one of the cupcakes.
If the toothpick comes out dry, the cupcake is done. If the toothpick comes out with a little of cake batter or is wet, you need to continue baking for a few more minutes.
The second way is to gently touch the top of one of the cupcakes. If it springs back, you know the cupcakes are baked completely.
Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
Allow the cupcakes to cool while you prepare the Easy Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting.
In a large bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar until all the ingredients are combined and the frosting is formed.
Helpful Tips for Frosting Cupcakes
- Use a piping tool - disposable pastry bags work just as well.
- Make sure the frosting is room temperature before starting.
- Once your done, place the cupcakes inside another cupcake liner so they look really professional.
Add the sprinkles and your cupcakes are ready to be placed on a serving platter for your family and friends! How pretty and patriotic do these cupcakes look?
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
More Delicious Patriotic Recipes and Ideas:
- No Bake Mason Jar Desserts are so easy to make and take with you to a family celebration.
- These Berry Trifle Dessert with Angel Food Cake only have FIVE WEIGHT WATCHER Points!
- Flag Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza will help you make a statement at your celebration this year!
- And it's always fun to make something yummy for the kids with these Star Shaped Patriotic Cereal Treats.
- Let's Celebrate with Patriotic Desserts!
For the Cupcakes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp red food coloring
- 1 ½ tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing well until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla.
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar until ingredients are combined and frosting is formed.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the frosting to your cake decorator or piping bag with an icing tip, and frost the cupcakes.
- Finish with patriotic red, white, and blue star sprinkles
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2018 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!