Red Velvet 4th of July Cake - celebrate the summer with a patriotic red, white and blue dessert that starts out with a simple cake mix. Top the cake with homemade cream cheese frosting, fresh strawberries and blueberries. This is the perfect dessert to add to your 4th of July Foods Menu!
This Red Velvet 4th of July Cake is the perfect red, white and blue patriotic dessert for any gathering this summer. As a matter of fact, if you leave the red and blue sprinkles off the cake, you can bake this for any get-together all year long.
Not only is it incredibly delicious, it's beautiful! This cake starts out with a cake mix, however, I added a box of pudding mix and sour cream to add to the flavor and moistness.
Cake Mix Hacks
This Red Velvet 4th of July Cake is another one of my cake mix hacks. Did you know that the word "hack" means to find a creative solution? Which is just what this cake does.
By using a cake mix to doctor up a recipe, we're creating a solution to baking something delicious without all the work of baking from scratch. There's no shame in using a cake mix as the base of a great dessert. In fact, I've done it many times!
Check out my 5 Cake Mix Baking Secrets and get the free printable to help you create easy desserts using a box of cake mix!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Bundt Cake Pan
- Red, blue sprinkles
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
For the Cake:
- Red Velvet Cake Mix - see note below if you can't find a red velvet mix.
- Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Sour Cream
For the Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream Cheese - room temperature.
- Butter - softened
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
For Decorating the Cake:
- Fresh Strawberries
- Fresh Blueberries
- Red and Blue Sprinkles
Step 1: Prepare the Cake Batter
In the bowl of a KitchenAid Mixer with the paddle attachment, add the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream and water. Combine until well blended.
Step 2: Baking Instructions
Pour the batter into a bundt cake pan that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Baking Tip: Did you know that you can check the internal temperature of a cake to see if it's thoroughly baked? The cake is done when the temperature in the middle is anywhere from 205°F to 210°F.
Step 3: Cooling Tips
Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before inverting on to a baking rack or plate.
Step 4: Prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting
To help this cake not taste like a traditional cake mix recipe, I chose to use a homemade cream cheese frosting. Only I wanted to be able to pour the frosting on top of the bundt cake.
Once the frosting is made, I heated it up in 5 seconds increments in the microwave until it was slightly pourable. Be careful not to overdo it!
You can easily change the consistency of the frosting if you heat it up too much. You want to be able to pour the frosting over the baked bundt cake so it runs down the sides.
Step 6: Decorate the Cake
Since this Red Velvet 4th of July Cake is a patriotic cake, I added red and blue sprinkles as well as the fruit. If you were serving this at another time during the year, you could use a different color of sprinkles or leave the sprinkles off completely.
Tips for Baking a Bundt Cake
- Try to use a non-stick cake pan, however, you should still spray it very sell with non-stick baking spray. The last thing you want is for the cake to stick and only part of it come out.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before running a knife between the edge of the cake and the pan to loosen.
- Invert a plate on top of the cake and then carefully flip over so the cake can gently fall out of the pan onto the plate.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
Yes, wait at least 30 minutes before flipping the cake out. I like to run a knife around the edges of the pan and cake to help release it as well.
Use non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray. Do not coat the pan with butter. The butter will encourage the cake to stick to the sides of the pan while it's baking.
Ready for more great recipes?
- I love these Berry Cheesecakes and using raspberries and blueberries really do make them perfect for summer!
- Patriotic Bundt Cake Recipe from She Saved.
- You can't really go wrong with preparing a Flag Fruit Pizza to celebrated the Fourth of July.
- Who doesn't love chocolate chip cookies? How about a giant chocolate chip cookie made into a 4th of July Cookie Cake?
For the Cake:
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix; 15.25 ounce size
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix; 3.9 ounce size
- ½ cup water
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese; room temperature
- ¼ cup butter; softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cups strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
For the Cake:
- In the bowl of a KitchenAid Mixer with the paddle attachment, add the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream and water. Combine until well blended.
- Pour the batter into a bundt cake pan that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before inverting on to a baking rack or plate.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, and beat until smooth.
- Add in butter, an beat butter until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing in between each addition.
- Beat until smooth.
- Then add the vanilla and continue to beat until smooth.
How to Decorate the Cake:
- Place the cream cheese frosting in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup.
- Heat up in 5 second increments until it is slightly pourable. Be careful not to overdo it!
- Pour over the completely cooled cake so it drips down the sides.
- Add fresh strawberries, blueberries, red and blue sprinkles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 269mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 0gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.