Creamy, rich Easy Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting requires only 4 ingredients. Let me show you how to make this classic homemade frosting that’s perfect for cupcakes, cakes, muffins or even Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies!
One of the easiest ways to dress up a boxed cake mix is to use homemade frosting. I list that as one of my 5 Cake Mix Baking Secrets and Printable to help you make more delicious cake mix recipes.
A few of my favorite homemade frosting recipes already on the blog are:
I use all the above homemade frosting recipes on recipes that start out with a cake mix. It really does make a boxed cake recipe taste like it came from a bakery.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- KitchenAid Mixer – or any stand mixer will do. You can also use a hand-held mixer. You need the speed from an electric mixer to help make sure everything blends properly.
- Sifter – you definitely want to sift the powdered sugar before adding it to the softened cream cheese and butter to make sure there are no lumps.
- Off=set spatula or disposable decorating bags to spread the frosting.
Battery Operated Electric Flour Sifter For Baking –Angled Icing SpatulaPiping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit8-Piece Frosting Bulb Decorating KitIndividual Cupcake Container – Single Compartment Cupcake Carrier3-Tier Cupcake Dessert Stand, White
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Cream cheese, softened
- Unsalted butter, softened
- Powdered sugar, sifted
- Vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, and beat until smooth.
Add in butter, and beat butter until smooth.
Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing in between each addition. Make sure you beat until everything is smooth.
Now, add the vanilla and beat until smooth.
Look how beautiful the frosting is! It’s the perfect consistency to spread of pipe on top of cupcakes, muffins or a cake.
How to Store Homemade Frosting
Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 3-4 days in an air-tight container or in the freezer for up to one month.
But what about a frosted cake? Well, according to Cooking Light Magazine, “if you’re going to eat the cake in the next day or two and your house stays around 70 degrees or cooler, it should be fine to sit on the counter.”
However, if it’s summertime and the temperatures are warm, you should store a cake in the refrigerator.
How to use Homemade Frosting
This recipe will be enough to frost one bundt or sheet cake or one recipe of cupcakes or muffins. You can add the cream cheese frosting to a piping bag to easily swirl on top of the cupcakes.
You can also use an off-set spatula to spread the cream cheese frosting on top of cupcakes, muffins or a cake.
Cream Cheese Frosting Flavors
Cream Cheese Frosting is delicious just as it is, but did you know you can take it to a whole new level by adding different flavorings?
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting – add 1 teaspoon lemon extract.
- Maple Cream Cheese Frosting – add a few tablespoons pure maple syrup.
- Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting – add 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting – add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and for a fun touch, you can add crushed peppermint candies!
Ready to use this frosting?
- Patriotic Cupcakes
- Bridal Shower Cupcakes
- Overnight Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Rolls made with Frozen Bread Dough
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, and beat until smooth.
- Add in butter, an beat butter until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing in between each addition.
- Beat until smooth.
- Then add the vanilla and continue to beat until smooth.
- Use to frost completely cooled cake, cupcakes or muffins.
- This is the amount for a layered cake or a large amount of cupcakes. You can cut the recipe in half if needed for a smaller amount.
- Cover and store leftover frosting for up to 3-4 days in an air-tight container or up to 3 months in the freezer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 0gSugar: 108gProtein: 0g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.