4th of July Cookie Cake - the ultimate giant chocolate chip cookie baked into a cake and decorated red, white and blue makes the perfect patriotic 4th of July food to serve all summer long. Let's start a new tradition this year and bake something easy that will "wow" your guests. Put the cookie trays away and let me show you how easy this extra large cookie is to bake!
This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. It's also pretty similar to my chocolate chip skillet cookie recipe only this time I'm using a springform cake pan which helps give it more of a cake-like texture.
It's the perfect 4th of July Cookie Cake and is one of my July 4th Menu Ideas. I love the vibrant colors of the red and blue candy pieces against the white buttercream frosting, don't you?
Another fun dessert to make at the end of a long day of celebrating our country's heritage are 4th of July Cupcakes all decked out in red, white and blue! Make sure you grab the free cupcake toppers and wrappers below!
I know you'll love my Red Velvet 4th of July Cake decorated with homemade cream cheese frosting, strawberries and blueberries.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Butter - I like to use salted butter at room temperature.
- Sugar - you'll need both light brown sugar and granulate sugar for this recipe.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Baking Soda
- All-Purpose Flour
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Red and Blue Candy M&Ms
- Buttercream Frosting - a combination of butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and heavy cream.
- Red and Blue Sprinkles
Baking Tip: To bring eggs to room temperature quickly, place the eggs in a bowl of warm water for about five minutes.
Step 1: Prepare the Cookie Dough
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Step 2: Add the Dough to the Springform Pan
Step 3: Baking Instructions
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and add ½ cup to ¾ cups of mini M&M candy pieces.
Press them gently into the top of the pre-baked cake being careful not to full submerge them in under the cookie dough. You want to see the candy pieces.
Then return the cake to the oven to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are crisp and the cookie is golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and allow it to cool completely.
Allow the 4th of July Cookie Cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan.
How to Decorate Cookie Cake
To decorate this cookie in all it's patriotic glory, I needed to add some white to complete my red, white and blue theme. I decided to pipe a border around the cookie with a buttercream frosting.
I used a disposable piping bag with a star tip. Then sprinkled red and blue sprinkles on top and the cake was done!
This recipe makes enough frosting to pipe a border around the perimeter of the cookie cake with a little extra to add some additional decorations if desired.
Tips for Baking Giant Cookies
- Room Temperature Eggs - set the eggs out about an hour before you start baking. They blend into the butter and sugar mixture much better when they're not cold.
- Choose the Right Pan - I like using a cheesecake or springform pan because it helps to release the cake easily. If you choose a traditional cake pan, make sure you spray it well with non-stick baking spray or consider lining the pan with parchment paper.
- Let it Cool Completely before Decorating - if you add the buttercream frosting too soon, it will melt on top of the cake making a huge mess. So be patient and wait. Also, if you remove the cake too soon from the pan it might break.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
Stick a toothpick or cake tester into the center of the cake after it's baked according to the directions. If either one comes out clean, with no batter, the cake is cooked. However, if there is some batter attached, continue baking for an additional 5 minutes and test again. You can also gently tap your finger on the top of the cake and it should feel firm and a little springy at the same time, it's done.
Ready for more great recipes?
- Flag Fruit Sugar Cookie Pizza - I love this recipe!
- Patriotic Cake Pops
- Chocolate Chip Bar Cookies from a Cake Mix
- Patriotic Poke Cake
For the Cake:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter; softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini red, blue candy pieces
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 4 tablespoons butter; softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons half and half
To Decorate the Cake:
- Red and blue sprinkles
For the Cake:
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Press the dough into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan that's been lined with a piece of parchment paper cut into a circle to fit the bottom of the pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and gently press the ½ cup of red and blue candy pieces into the surface of the cookie cake being careful not to completely submerge the candy pieces.
- Return the cake to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 18 minutes or until the edges are crisp and the cookie is golden and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before decorating.
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, half and half. Beat until smooth adding more half and half if needed.
- Add the frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe the frosting around the edges of the cake.
- Decorate with red and blue sprinkles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.