Warm apple pie filling topped with an easy crumble made with cake mix. This Apple Dump Cake is one of the most popular apple dessert recipes on this site! Grab a box of cake mix and let's start baking because dessert is going to be extra good today!
Using a cake mix as a crumb topping is one of my cake mix hack recipes. Apple Dump Cake is also a recipe where you literally dump everything in a casserole dish and bake!
Dump cake recipes are Easy Desserts everyone should have in their recipe box. Putting these recipes together is fast. AND...they taste amazing!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Apple pie filling
- Yellow cake mix
- Brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Chopped pecans
Step 1 | Layer the Ingredients
- Layer the two cans of apple pie filling in the bottom of a 9X11 baking dish that's been sprayed with non-stick baking spray. Then stir in the cinnamon.
- Open the bag of yellow cake mix and sprinkle on top of the apples. Then add the brown sugar and chopped pecans.
- The final step is to top the ingredients with the butter which helps make the crumble topping even more delicious.
Step 2 | Baking Instructions
Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the top is nicely browned and the cake is bubbling.
Tips for Baking and Serving
- The most important tip is to make sure to spread out the cake mix so there are not large mounds on top of the apples.
- Sometimes, no matter how well you think you've distributed the cake mix, you'll see clumps starting to form.
- If you notice clumps, take a fork and break up any clumps, then return the cake to the oven to continue baking.
- You can also try making this apple dump cake using a spice cake mix!
- This easy recipe is delicious warm from the oven but you may want it to cool down just a bit so you can add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or freshly made whipped cream.
There are so many ways you can prepare or change up this recipe:
- Pie Filling - if you don't have apple pie filling, use peach, cherry or blueberry.
- Too Sweet? - if you feel apple pie filling is too sweet for you, add a small can of crushed pineapple to the mixture.
- Add Nuts - add crushed pecans or walnuts to the top of the cake mix before adding the butter for an extra added crunchy topping.
- Any leftovers should be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Apple Dump Cake can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Allow the dessert to thaw in the refrigerator the night before you want to serve it.
- Reheat it in a preheated 350° F oven until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
Leftovers can be left at room temperature for about a day. I would refrigerate any leftovers just to be safe though. You can expect this recipe to last in the refrigerator for up to one week.
You can easily substitute the canned pie filling in this recipe by making a homemade apple pie filling like my Homemade Apple Pie Recipe and then add the cake mix to the top and bake as directed in this recipe.
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
- 2 cans apple pie filling
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Butter; one stick
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup to ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9X11 baking dish, that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, add the two cans of apple pie filling.
- Sprinkle Cinnamon over the apple pie filling.
- Next, sprinkle the cake mix on top.
- Add the brown sugar to the top.
- Then add the chopped pecans to the top.
- Finally add the sliced butter to the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the edges are hot and bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 594mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 2gSugar: 50gProtein: 3g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2018 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!