Easy Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream - rich, creamy and delicious, made with a Hamilton Beach Ice Cream Maker. This recipe has only 5 ingredients and rock salt. First, let me share with you a little secret about homemade ice cream recipes. My husband and I have never tasted homemade ice cream until I made this recipe. Where in the world have we been living to make it this far in life without tasting something so incredibly delicious?
There's a first time for everything and for me today that's making Easy Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. That's right people, I have never made homemade ice cream and that's all about to change with this recipe.
It's so delicious, you might be tempted to make ice cream sandwiches using my recipe for Jumbo Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. You definitely need to put a scoop of ice cream on top of Homemade Apple Pie, Peach Cobbler or my very favorite Apple Dump Cake.
Hamilton Beach Ice Cream Maker Recipes
This post was originally sponsored by Hamilton Beach, however, all opinions, as always are my own.
To show you how easy it is to make homemade ice cream, I'm using the recipe that comes with the Hamilton Beach Ice Cream Maker.
4 Quart Ice Cream Maker Recipes
I thought for my very first homemade ice cream recipe, I should follow one of the 4 quart ice cream maker recipes included in the box. There are quite a few recipes included in the booklet that comes with the machine. I chose to make the homemade vanilla recipe today.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Ice Cream Maker - this is the 4 quart one I used for this recipe.
- Ice Cream Rock Salt
- Frozen Ice Cream Storage Container
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Ice cream scoop
Main Ingredients Needed:
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Granulated Sugar
- Whole Milk
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Juice
- 8 lbs ice
- 3 cups rock salt
Step 1: Combine the Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, milk, cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Whisk until mixed through.
Step 2: Add the Mixture to the Ice Cream Maker
Pour the mixture into the canister, insert the dasher, and secure the lid tightly.
Following the instructions in the manual, add the ice and rock salt to the machine and let the churning begin!
After about 40 minutes, the machine started to slow down the ice cream looked like this:
Step 3: Chilling Homemade Ice Cream
Look how delicious! Now comes the hard part...waiting. Put the ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze for about one to two hours before serving.
Step 4: Storage Tips
Now that you've made the ice cream, let's talk a few different ways to store homemade ice cream:
- Freezer-safe plastic container
- Specially made ice cream containers
- Loaf pans - yes a standard 9×5-inch loaf pan you use bake bread in works great! Cover first with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
Favorite Ice Cream Toppings
Of course the ice cream is delicious just as it is, but it's always fun to add your favorite toppings:
- Chocolate sauce or fudge
- Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Different colored sprinkles
- Homemade whipped cream
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
Like this recipe? Try these Dessert Recipes:
The only thing missing from this dessert is a cookie or two! Here are a few yummy recipes that you might enjoy.
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies - oh my word...how about putting a scoop of this homemade vanilla ice cream between two chocolate sugar cookies? That sounds yummy, right?
- Or try this recipe for M&M Cookies to make an ice cream sandwich.
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
Making ice cream at home is not a quick process. But it is truly worth the time it takes to make this delicious recipe.
I've only made this recipe using rock salt, but you can use Kosher salt. From the research I've done online, it seems that using regular table salt could give the ice cream a bitter taste. Rock salt is not hard to find or purchase. I ordered mine from Amazon. It was delivered in just a day!
Ingredients for the Ice Cream Base
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 cups whipping cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Ingredients for the Ice Cream Maker
- 8 lbs ice
- 3 cups rock salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, milk, cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Whisk until mixed through.
- Pour the mixture into the canister, insert the dasher, and secure the lid tightly.
- Place the canister into the center of the bucket. Assemble the motor over the canister with the dasher shaft inserted into the hole in the bottom of the motor.
- Turn the motor counter clockwise to lock the motor onto the bucket.
- Place the bucket into the sink.
- Plug in the power cord. Allow the mixture to churn for a couple minutes before adding ice to the bucket.
- Unplug the motor. Add about 2 inches of ice to the bottom of the bucket and sprinkle on about a ½ cup of the rock salt. Repeat the layers until the bucket is completely full.
- Plug the motor back in and allow the ice cream to churn for 20-40 minutes, or until the machine slows or stops on it's own. Keep an eye on it and add more ice as needed.
- Remove the canister. If you wish to mix in items such as fresh berries, chocolate, nuts, etc, do so now with a long-handled rubber spatula.
- Replace the lid, insert the storage plug, and put the canister into the freezer for 1-2 hours before serving.
This recipe should yield around 8 to 12 servings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 639Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 28356mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 0gSugar: 57gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2018 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!