Cheesecake Cupcakes is a recipe I adapted from my mother’s most famous full-sized cheesecake that she’s been making for over 40 years. These cupcakes have a smooth creamy texture with a delicious buttery graham cracker crust.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2012 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!
For my daughter’s high school graduation party, I made 100 of these cupcakes a few years ago. I thought I was going to die, seriously. It was so hot the day before her graduation party and it took me forever to get everything cooked and prepared for the party.
This post has been updated…thank God! I first posted this recipe in 2012 and at the time I thought wow, I took some great photos. For the most part you can see, the photos were pretty horrible.
Therefore, I’m really glad this recipe has been updated. These cupcakes are so delicious they deserve to be enjoyed and shared, which I hope you will do.
Tips for Making Graham Cracker Crust:
- This recipe calls for a graham cracker crust.
- You can purchase graham cracker crumbs in a box at the grocery store or you can make your own by crushing graham crackers.
- I like to crush graham crackers by placing them in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin, pound away at them and work out some aggression.
- Or you can use a food processor. About 5 graham cracker sheets will make one cup of graham cracker crumbs.
Tips for Baking Cheesecake Cupcakes:
Cheesecake can be intimidating to some people. It was for me the first time I made it, which is why making cheesecake cupcakes is easy!
So here are a few helpful tips all of us can follow to have a delicious cheesecake to enjoy for family and friends:
- Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature.
- It also helps to make sure the eggs are also at room temperature.
- Try very hard not to over-mix the batter.
- Always, always, always spray the cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray before filling. This will really help release the cupcakes from the liners when they have finished baking. This tip works great even if you’re making traditional cupcakes or even muffins.
This recipe should make 24 cupcakes. Of course, that depends on the size of your muffin pan and how full you fill them, etc.
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
For the crust:
- 16 graham crackers
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the cheesecake filling:
- 16 ounces cream cheese; room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the sour cream topping:
- 1 pint sour cream; 2 cups
- 1/3 cup sugar
How to Make the Graham Cracker Crust
to begin, place the graham crackers in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin pound them into fine crumbs. If you don’t have graham crackers in the house, you can use Vanilla Wafer Cookies.
Next, combine the crumbs with the melted butter and sugar.
How to Fill the Cupcake Liners
Spray the paper cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray and then add about a tablespoon of the graham cracker crumb mixture to the bottom. You can use the back of a spoon or juice glass to press down the crumbs.
How to Make the Cream Cheese Filling
Now, let’s move on to preparing the cheesecake filling.
Add the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and eggs to a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, combine until the mixture is smooth.
Then continue by pouring the mixture into each cupcake holder that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, filling them about 2/3 of the way.
It helps to use a cookie scoop to add the cream cheese filling to the top the graham cracker crumbs.
How to Add the Sour Cream Topping
While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the sour cream topping by combine the sour cream and 1/3 cup sugar in a medium sized bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
After the cupcakes have baked for about 20 minutes, remove the trays from the oven.
Add the sour cream topping to the top of each cheesecake muffin. Return the trays to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 8 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool in the refrigerator until they become firm enough to stand alone when paper cupcake liner is peeled away.
How delicious do these look? They are probably one of my favorite things to make for large gatherings.
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @Lois_walkingonsunshinerecipes on Instagram and hashtag it #walkingonsunshinerecipes
A few more delicious Cheesecake Recipes:
Yes, I love cheesecake!
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Chocolate Bliss Cheesecake
- Mini Nutella Swirl Cheesecake
- Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Muffins – is it a muffin or a cupcake? You decide!
- No Bake Cheesecake Pudding Parfaits – perfect for summer because these are no bake!
Ingredients for the crust:
- 16 Graham Crackers
- 1/4 lb. melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- I!ngredients for the cheesecake filling:
- 16 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- I!ngredients for the sour cream topping:
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- In a medium sized bowl pulverize the graham crackers.
- Stir the melted butter and 1/4 cup sugar into the crackers.
- Put a tablespoon of the mixture into each cupcake holder.
- Press firmly and evenly on the bottom using either the back of a juice glass or a measuring spoon.
For the Cream Cheese Layer:
- Combine cream cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla in a medium sized bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture into each cupcake holder that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, filling them about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
For the Sour Cream Layer:
- Combine the sour cream and 1/3 cup sugar in a medium sized bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture over the baked cheesecakes, filling each cupcake holder completely.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the refrigerator until they become firm enough to stand alone when paper holder is peeled away.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 24
Cupcakes for Cupcake Lovers Day!
Are you looking for even more cupcake recipes? Check out these other yummy recipes from a few other food bloggers:
Hosted by Valentina | The Baking Fairy
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Busy Bee Honey Vanilla Cupcakes by For The Love of Food
Butter Pecan Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
Cheesecake Cupcakes by Walking on Sunshine Recipes
Cherry Limeade Cupcakes by That Recipe
Chocolate Irish Cream Cupcakes with Irish Cream Frosting by Daily Dish Recipes
Cookies & Cream Cupcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Chocolate Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche Frosting by Cooking for my Soul
Creamsicle Cupcakes by Red Cottage Chronicles
Gluten Free Rocky Road Cupcakes by Frugal & Fit
Honey Lemon’s HoneyBee Cupcakes by Simply Inspired Meals
Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting by The Olive Blogger
Lost Princess Cupcakes by Seduction in the Kitchen
Lemon Lavender Blackberry Cupcakes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Orange You Glad Cupcakes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes by The Beard and The Baker
Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes by Crumb Top Baking
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes by Bowl Me Over
Pudding Pop Cupcakes by Nik Snacks
Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting by Join Us, Pull Up a Chair
Strawberry Basil Cupcakes with Chocolate Balsamic Frosting by The Spiffy Cookie
Sweet Summertime Cupcakes by Cooking with Carlee
Strawberry Cupcakes by Confessions of a Baking Queen
Vanilla Bourbon Bacon Cupcakes by Our Good Life
Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes by Simple Family Crazy Life
Watermelon Themed Cake & Cupcakes by The Mandatory Mooch
White Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes by Triple Chocolate Kitchen