Easy Chicken Marsala is one of those recipes you need in your recipe box. Easy enough for a weeknight meal but delicious enough to serve to company for a special occasion. I once made this recipe for 15 family members that were coming over for dinner after a long day of sightseeing in New York City.
This recipe has been updated since the last time I published it in 2015. There’s a new printable recipe card and a few new photos that I think you’ll enjoy.
I didn’t make this chicken too often when my children were little because they didn’t care for the mushrooms and onions but now that they’re older, they enjoy it as much as we do. This is the recipe I’ve had for many years written on a piece of paper in my recipe box, yes, I still have a box full of recipes!
First, the chicken is lightly coated in flour and then browned in a pan before adding the cooking wine and chicken broth. Then we’re going to add onions and mushrooms to the sauce to give it that delicious taste!
This recipe is a little different than a traditional Chicken Marsala recipe you might find on another site. I like to add mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to the chicken before finishing baking it in the oven. My family loves cheese and it adds a nice flavor.
Substitutions for Marsala Wine
- If you’ve been a follower of my site for awhile, you know that we don’t drink alcohol, nor do I cook with alcohol. That’s just the way I was raised. And yes, I know the alcohol burns off while the food is cooking.
- The only recipe on my site that has any alcohol is Homemade Pizza Dough. However, that recipe calls for a can of beer.
- So, if you’re like me and don’t want to use the wine, you can use Marsala cooking wine like I do for this recipe or you can use the same amount of beef broth or stock.
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 6 boneless chicken breasts; pounded thin
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 ounce package of mushrooms; sliced
- One onion; thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp. butter; divided
- 4 tbsp. olive oil; divided
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine; I used Marsala cooking wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Add two tbsp of butter and two tbsp of olive oil to a large frying pan.
- Add the chicken to the frying pan and cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm while you cook the mushrooms and onions.
- Add the remaining butter and olive oil to the same pan.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions over medium high heat for a few minutes.
- Add the Marsala wine and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes; until the sauce begins to thicken scrapping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to get up all the browned bits.
- Transfer the chicken to a 9 X 13 inch baking pan that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the sauce with the onions and mushrooms over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over the chicken followed by the 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked and the cheese is melted.
Let’s Get Cooking!
Serve Chicken Marsala with mashed potatoes, green beans and of course garlic bread. Make sure you try my homemade garlic butter recipe to make the garlic bread.
As much as we all love mashed potatoes, this recipe is also delicious served with an easy rice pilaf recipe and green beans for really busy nights. Either way, your family is going to admit this recipe is definitely a winner!
You might also Enjoy these Side Dish Recipes:
Note: Traditional Chicken Marsala doesn't call for any cheese, but my family enjoys it with cheese and I think yours will too! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 452Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 853mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 33g
Note: Traditional Chicken Marsala doesn't call for any cheese, but my family enjoys it with cheese and I think yours will too!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
5 Secrets for Baking Delicious Desserts that Start with a Cake Mix!
Discover my secrets for making a delicious dessert that starts with an ordinary cake mix.