Delicious hamburgers with mushroom gravy served over buttered noodles or creamy mashed potatoes is perfect for dinner on nights you think you’re too busy to cook!
Hamburgers with Mushroom Gravy
Today I’m sharing with you a recipe that I make quite often and finally remembered to take photos the last time we had this for dinner. Hamburgers with mushroom gravy is a recipe my family really enjoys for dinner and I really enjoy making because it is so easy!
I usually make the hamburgers in my cast iron grill pan and make the gravy in a separate cast iron pan. And then add the hamburgers to the other cast iron pan with the gravy to continue cooking and marry the flavors together.
Seems like a little extra work, but you can’t beat the flavor of hamburgers cooked in a cast iron grill pan and you can’t really make a good gravy with a grill pan.
Tips for Making the Hamburgers
- I really do think the secret to making this recipe is using a cast iron grill pan. If you’ve never used a cast iron pan or don’t really know how to properly clean one, make sure you read my post on using cast iron pans. I was pretty clueless when it came to using cast iron, but it’s all I use now!
- For the “picky” kids who don’t like mushrooms, you can make the whole recipe first and then remove their hamburger with a little gravy and then add the mushrooms for those who like mushrooms.
- Here’s a little secret: I don’t like mushrooms! But I still enjoy this recipe!
- This recipe will make 6 hamburger patties.
How to Make Hamburgers with Homemade Gravy
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
Ingredients for the Hamburger Patties:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley; optional
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Ingredients for the Mushroom Gravy:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 jar of mushrooms; drained
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, chopped parsley, Worcestershire sauce and water.
- Form the patties and cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Remove the hamburger patties from the skillet, set aside and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil. Continue to stir until the gravy is thick
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the hamburger patties to the gravy and keep warm until ready to serve.
Let’s Get Cooking!
How to Serve Hamburgers with Mushroom Gravy
This recipe is not your typical hamburger recipe because of the homemade mushroom gravy you make. So you don’t want to serve this on top of a typical hamburger bun.
- You can serve these hamburgers over buttered egg noodles or buttered rice tastes amazing too.
- If your family loves potatoes, creamy mashed potatoes are amazing. Try making my recipe for Company Mashed Potatoes to serve alongside this recipe.
- Baked potatoes are really delicious too. Especially if you pour some of that mushroom gravy on top!
A few other of my Cast Iron Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Tips on Caring for Cast Iron Pans – there is so much good information in this post to help you properly care for cast iron pans.
- Spinach Bacon Frittata
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
For the Hamburger Patties:
For the Mushroom Gravy:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 32g
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.