Easy to make and ready in about 30 minutes! Hamburgers with Mushroom Gravy is best served over noodles or creamy mashed potatoes. Let me show you how to get dinner on the table on nights you think you're too busy to cook.
Today I'm sharing with you a recipe that I make quite often and finally remembered to take photos the last time we had this for dinner. Hamburgers with mushroom gravy is a recipe my family really enjoys for dinner and I really enjoy making because it is so easy!
I usually make the hamburgers in my cast iron grill pan and make the gravy in a separate cast iron pan. And then add the hamburgers to the other cast iron pan with the gravy to continue cooking and marry the flavors together.
Seems like a little extra work, but you can't beat the flavor of hamburgers cooked in a cast iron grill pan and you can't really make a good gravy with a grill pan.
Tips for Making the Hamburgers
- I think the secret to making this hamburgers with mushroom gravy recipe is using a cast iron grill pan. If you've never used a cast iron pan or don't really know how to properly clean one, make sure you read my post on using cast iron pans. I was pretty clueless when it came to using cast iron, but it's all I use now!
- For the "picky" kids who don't like mushrooms, you can make the whole recipe first and then remove their hamburger with a little gravy and then add the mushrooms for those who like mushrooms.
- Here's a little secret: I don't like mushrooms! But I still enjoy this recipe!
- This recipe will make 6 hamburger patties.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
For the Hamburgers
- Ground Beef - I like to use a mixture of 80/20 mixture.
- Onion; finely chopped
- Fresh Parsley; chopped
- Worcestershire sauce
For the Homemade Mushroom Gravy
- Beef broth
- Mushrooms; you can use fresh or canned
Step 1 | Make the Hamburger Patties
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, chopped onion, chopped parsley, Worcestershire sauce and water.
- Form the patties and place on a baking tray lined with either aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- If you have time, place the tray in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before cooking.
Step 2 | Cooking Instructions
- Cook in a large cast iron skillet over medium to high heat for about 4 - 5 minutes on each side.
- Check with a digital meat thermometer for the internal temperature reads 165°F and the juices run clear.
- Remove the cooked patties from the pan to a plate and keep warm while you prepare the gravy.
Step 3 | Make the Homemade Mushroom Gravy
- In the same skillet, melt the butter.
- Then stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the beef broth and allow the mixture to come to a boil to thicken.
- Finally add the mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper if needed.
- Add the cooked hamburger patties back to the pan. Spoon some of the mushroom gravy on top.
Step 4 | Serving Tips
- You can serve hamburgers with mushroom gravy over buttered egg noodles or buttered rice tastes amazing too.
- If your family loves potatoes, creamy mashed potatoes are amazing. Try making my recipe for Company Mashed Potatoes to serve alongside this recipe.
- Baked potatoes are really delicious too. Especially if you pour some of that mushroom gravy on top!
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
A few other of my Cast Iron Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Tips on Caring for Cast Iron Pans - there is so much good information in this post to help you properly care for cast iron pans.
- Spinach Bacon Frittata
For the Hamburger Patties:
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 jar of mushrooms; drained
- In a bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, chopped parsley, Worcestershire sauce and water.
- Form the patties and cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- Remove the hamburger patties from the skillet, set aside and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the beef broth and bring to a boil. Continue to stir until the gravy is thick
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the hamburger patties to the gravy and keep warm until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 32g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2014 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!