Peanut Butter Bars - you only need five ingredients to get thick, creamy, fudgy bars that taste just like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. This is a no-bake recipe that can be ready in about a little over an hour. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite just like my family favorite Peanut Butter Cookies from a Cake Mix.
My family has consumed a ton of Reese's peanut butter cups over the years. I mean tons. I think my husband has a few every other day or so! He loves to enjoy straight from the freezer on most nights.
So you can imagine my surprise and his, when I first started making this peanut butter bars recipe about six years ago. This recipe is very similar to the Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Eggs I like to share with you around Easter.
This is such an easy recipe to put together as well. As a matter of fact, the only thing complicated about this homemade peanut butter squares recipe is you need to be patient. You have to wait for each layer to chill before continuing with the recipe.
Helpful Baking Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- 9X13 baking pan
- Measuring cups
- Glass batter bowl - make sure you use a microwave-safe bowl to melt the chocolate.
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- Melted Butter
- Powdered sugar
- Creamy peanut butter
- Graham cracker crumbs - about 12 full graham cracker sheets.
- Milk chocolate chips or Semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Baking Tip: I have made this recipe using both milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips. While I personally prefer the milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips are what I usually have on hand and taste delicious too!
In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, powdered sugar, creamy peanut butter and graham cracker crumbs.
Then press the mixture into the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Place the baking dish in the refrigerator so it can chill for about an hour before adding the second layer.
Once the peanut butter layer is firm, melt the chocolate chips with the peanut butter in a microwavable-safe bowl, combine the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Heat in one minute intervals until everything is melted and smooth.
Spread the second layer of the melted chocolate with peanut butter. Then place them back in the refrigerator to chill another hour or so before slicing.
How to Slice and Serve
This recipe needs to be chilled completely in order to slice perfectly and neatly. Homemade Peanut Butter Bars are the perfect treat to serve to your family of peanut butter lovers!
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
Tips for Storing the Peanut Butter Bars
- Once the peanut butter bars are sliced, store them in an air-tight container.
- I like to put waxed paper between the layers so they don't stick.
- Depending on the time of year, you may need to store the peanut butter bars in the refrigerator.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? TRY THESE OTHER CHOCOLATE RECIPES:
- Vanilla and Chocolate Swirl Cookies
- Chocolate Brownie Cake with Homemade Chocolate Ganache
- Homemade Brownies
- Chocolate Sugar Cookies - made with a cake mix
For the Peanut Butter Layer
- 1 cup butter melted
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
For the Topping
- 2 cups milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips; see note below
- 1 ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the peanut butter layer.
- Press into a 13X9 inch baking pan.
- Chill for one hour.
- Place chocolate chips and peanut butter into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for one minute. Stir until melted and smooth. Repeat if necessary until all the chocolate chips are melted.
- Pour over the peanut butter layer. Chill for two hours or until firm.
- Slice and enjoy!
I have made this recipe using both milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 27gProtein: 9g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2016 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!