With just a few simple pantry ingredients, you can whip up a batch of this Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix that will transform any ground beef or chicken into a flavor-packed filling for tacos, burritos, or even salads.
Taco Tuesday is always on our Weekly Meal Plan and with this easy recipe, you may never purchase the packets from the grocery store again!
When it comes to adding Taco Tuesday to your weekly meal plan, most of us make sure we have a packet of taco seasoning in the pantry. But what if you don't have one?
Do you make a quick grocery store run to purchase a seasoning packet? If you're like me, this quick grocery store run to pick up a $3.00 packet of seasoning mix usually ends up costing more because of the impulse purchasing.
Or maybe you live a far distance from a grocery store. It's a 15 minute drive to our local grocery store! Here is my recipe for Homemade Taco Seasoning that will help you never have to purchase packets again.
Table of Contents
This recipe is very similar to the packets of seasoning mix you can purchase in the grocery store. While you can use this homemade seasoning mix for many recipes, it does not contain pineapple or mango; which are found in Tabitha Brown's Sunshine Seasoning Mix.
You can use my homemade seasoning mix for beef or chicken; as well as seasoning soups.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Main Ingredients Needed
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
Substitutions and Variations
- If you're not a fan of paprika, it's okay to leave it out. It's mainly used for color.
- However, if you want a smoky flavor, try smoked paprika!
- If you’re not a huge fan of garlic or onion flavors, reduce the onion and garlic powder by half.
- If you want to add a spicy kick, add a ½ teaspoon of crushed red peppers.
- Like a touch of sweetness? Add a teaspoon of sugar.
Step 1 | Combine the Ingredients
- Combine the ingredients into a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the seasoning mix to a mason jar and store in your pantry.
📌Quick Tip: There's usually 3-4 tablespoons of seasoning mix in a store-purchased packet of Taco Seasoning. usually equals one packet. When preparing your ground beef for tacos, start with 2 tablespoons, taste and see if you need to add more for your preferences.
- Once you have the homemade seasoning mix combined, add it to a mason jar.
- You could also use an airtight container.
- Then place the jar in a cool, dry place.
- This homemade seasoning mix will last up to 6 months if properly stored.
♨️How to Use Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Add one pound of ground beef to a large skillet.
- After browning the meat, drain the fat and return the meat to the skillet pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of seasoning mix to the browned ground beef with ¼ cup water.
- Allow the meat and seasoning to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Before You Begin!
If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
You'll need to use 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning per every pound of ground beef you are using to make tacos.
Yes, adding water to the taco seasoning and ground beef helps to distribute the seasoning better. For every pound of ground beef, add 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning and ½ cup water.
Add the taco seasoning after you have browned the ground beef. You can also drain the ground beef after it has cooked to remove the excess oil. Add the cooked ground beef to a colander and allow it to drain over a bowl. Then add the cooked ground beef back to the same skillet and add the taco seasoning.
- 3 tablespoons Chili powder
- 3 teaspoons Ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion powder
- 3 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 1 /2 teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Stir to make sure everything is completely mixed.
- Add the contents to a small mason jar.
Store the mason jar in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2013 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!