The perfect hostess or teacher gift for the holiday season is this Mason Jar Hot Cocoa Gift. I love creating mason jar gift ideas because they're easy to make and everyone always loves receiving one. Let me show you how to put this mason jar gift idea together that comes with FREE printable gift tags.
I love to give homemade edible gifts over the holidays. Usually I give a plate of Christmas cookies wrapped with festive paper.
Over the past few years I've been giving other edible gifts packaged in mason jars. One year I gave my nieces and nephews this mason jar hot cocoa gift with a gift card attached.
It was a fun idea and I want to share it with you today because who doesn't love a cup of hot cocoa on a cold winter night?
Ready for more great Mason Jar Gift Ideas?
Here are a few other edible gifts you can give in a mason jar:
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Mason Jars - you can use whatever size you want.
- Mason Jar Funnel - I definitely recommend using one of these. It will help keep everything neat when you're filling up the jars.
- Red and White Twine - I love using this twine around the holidays.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
- Non Fat Powdered Milk - like this Carnation brand found on Amazon.
- Powdered Sugar
- Mini Marshmallows
Quick Tip: Using a large mouth funnel will help you get the hot cocoa mix into the mason jar without making a mess.
Step 1 | Combine Ingredients
- Place all the ingredients, except the marshmallows, into a bowl.
Step 2 | Mix Together
- Mix thoroughly until everything is blended.
Step 3 | Add to Jars
- Divide the mixture into the mason jars.
- Top with the mini marshmallows last.
- Put the lids on the jars and seal.
Step 4 | Add the Printable Gift Tags
- Finally add a printable gift tag with some pretty ribbon.
- Your Mason Jar Hot Cocoa Gift is ready!
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
- Crushed Peppermint Candies - add a layer beneath the mini marshmallows.
- Mini Chocolate Chips- add white or chocolate chips to the jar before you add the mini marshmallows.
- Favorite Candy Bar - try adding your favorite candy bar chopped up into the mason jar mix.
- Festive Holiday Sprinkles - multi-colored sprinkles would look great mixed in the jar.
- Mexican Hot Cocoa - try adding 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the mix for a fun flavor.
- Store the mason jar in the pantry with other dry goods.
- It should last for a few months, however, the mini marshmallows will not last that long. Therefore, you should try to enjoy the hot chocolate within 4 weeks of giving and receiving as a gift.
- You could use Dehydrated Marshmallows in place of mini marshmallows and the mix will last a very long time.
- It's really important that you include instructions on how to make the hot cocoa.
- The mix can be made using hot water or hot milk. Hot milk will make the hot cocoa more creamier.
- 1 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups nonfat powdered milk
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl; except the mini marshmallows.
- Mix thoroughly until everything is combined and no white is showing.
- Divide the mixture into the mason jars.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the top.
- Place the mason jar lid on top and tighten.
- Decorate by adding the printable instructional tags.
- To prepare, add t to 3 tablespoons of the cocoa mix with either 8 ounces of hot water or milk.
- The nutritional information is only for the dry mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.