Add a little extra sparkle to your birthday breakfast with these homemade sprinkle party muffins recipe!
These colorful and delicious muffins are sure to put a smile on anyone's face and make their special day even more memorable. With a moist vanilla base and a generous helping of sprinkles throughout, they're as fun to eat as they are to look at.
Check out all the other Breakfast Ideas for even more delicious recipes!
Looking for a fun and festive way to celebrate a loved one's birthday? Why not surprise them with some homemade sprinkle muffins for breakfast!
These colorful muffins are sure to put a smile on anyone's face. But don't let the sprinkles fool you - these muffins are also packed with flavor and easy to make!
Check out the recipe notes and variations following the step-by-step photos for any possible substitutions or tips on making the recipe your own.
Looking for more Muffin Recipes? Try my Homemade Blueberry Muffins and even my Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Muffins. Yum!
Table of Contents
- 👩🍳Recipe Notes
- 🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
- 💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Step-by-Step Instructions
- 1️⃣Combine the Butter Mixture
- 2️⃣Combine the Flour Mixture
- 3️⃣Add Sprinkles
- 4️⃣Baking Instructions
- 5️⃣Cooling Tips
- 6️⃣Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 🍶Storage Tips
- ❄️Freezing Tips
- ➡️Top Recipe Tip
- 💡Recipe FAQ
- 🌟Try these recipes next...
- 📇Recipe Card
- 💬 Comments
- Start with room temperature ingredients to help make sure the batter comes together easily and creates an even texture.
- Do not overmix the batter. Overmixing will lead to tough muffins.
- If you're adding mix-ins into the muffin batter, fold them in gently.
- Spray the paper muffin liners with non-stick baking spray. This will help the baked muffins not to stick the paper liners once they are baked.
- Fill the muffin cups two thirds full. This way the will rise properly and not overflow.
- Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the pan. Then place them on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Check out the storing and freezing tips below for more information.
Good Morning Sunshine Breakfast eBookClick HERE for More Information
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin Pan & Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup, SteelWilton Stainless Steel Small Cookie Scoop, SilverWilton 300 Count Polka Dots Standard Baking CupsSprinkles Rainbow Bulk
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
💡 Substitutions and Variations
- Don't have almond extract? That's ok, simply use vanilla extract in the glaze.
- This is a great basic muffin recipe. You can add any mix-in's you want!
- You can substitute half of the milk in the recipe for Greek yogurt.
1️⃣Combine the Butter Mixture
- Mix the butter, sugar, and oil together until creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
2️⃣Combine the Flour Mixture
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then add half of the milk and mix.
- Repeat once more and end with the remaining third of the flour mixture just until nearly combined.
- Gently fold in the rainbow sprinkles being sure to not overwork the batter.
📌Quick Tip: Be sure to use rainbow jimmies in this recipe. This type of sprinkle holds up to being mixed into batter without bleeding and keeps its color.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add muffin liners to a 12 count muffin pan.
- Fill each muffin liner with ⅓ cup of batter.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool a few minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes.
6️⃣Powdered Sugar Glaze
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract.
- Dip the muffins into the glaze and allow the excess glaze to run off over a wire rack.
- Add some sprinkles to the top of the muffins while the glaze is still wet.
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container for about 3 days. You can keep them in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Pop in the microwave with a damp paper towel to keep the moisture in the muffin when you reheat them for about 20-30 seconds.
- If you're freezing the muffins with the glaze on, put them in the freezer on a baking tray to freeze for about 45 minutes to an hour before transferring them to an air tight container or freezer bag.
- Alternatively, freeze the muffins without the glaze and add it once they have defrosted.
- They should keep for up to 3 months.
Air-Tight Storage Containers: these air-tight storage containers that help keep food fresh for longer. Use them to store fresh baked goods, cookies, fruit and vegetables, left overs, and more. The silicone lids lock to close to ensure an air tight seal. The stackable, multi-size design makes these containers easy to store. They're perfectly sized for the fridge, freezer, or cupboard.
➡️Top Recipe Tip
- When choosing sprinkles to use for this recipe, be sure to use rainbow jimmies. This type of sprinkle holds up to being mixed into batter without bleeding and keeps its color.
- Make sure your butter is softened so it blends well with the sugar.
- Be careful to not over mix the batter so the muffins come out tender.
- Simply click the plus sign to read more about the questions you see below.
- If YOU have a question regarding this recipe, please let me know in the comment section!
Yes. When muffins are over mixed, they become tough and chewy. The inside of the muffins has a lot of tunnels or air bubbles instead of an even crumb.
Muffins can become dry if they're overcooked or if there's not enough moisture in the batter. Try reducing the baking time or adding more liquid to the batter next time.
How can I get my muffins to rise more?
Make sure the baking powder or baking soda you're using is fresh. If they're not, that can cause the batter not to rise properly when baking. Avoid overmixing the batter as that can cause the muffins to become dense and flat.
🌟Try these recipes next...
- Check out my other recipe for Chocolate Chunk Muffins.
- Or you might enjoy these other muffin recipes Lemon Pound Cake Muffins, Almond Poppy Seed Muffins, Blueberry Swirtl Pound Cake or Pecan Pie Muffins
Party Muffins Recipe
Add a little sparkle to your birthday breakfast with my easy-to-make Homemade Party Muffins Recipe with sprinkles!
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
For the Glaze:
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, blend together the butter, sugar, and vegetable oil until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Then add in the vanilla and almond extract.
- Using a rubber spatula, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, fold and stir in ⅓ of the flour mixture until nearly combined followed by ½ of the milk, repeat process once more then end by folding in remaining ⅓ of the flour mixture just until nearly combined.
- Add the rainbow sprinkles trying not to overwork the batter.
- Line a 12 capacity muffin pan with paper muffin liners that have been sprayed with non-stick baking spray. Evenly fill the muffin pan with about ⅓ cup batter in each.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the pan onto a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Combine the glaze ingredients into a small bowl. (You may need to add a few more tablespoons of milk or a little water if the glaze is too thick.)
- Dip the muffins into the glaze and place back on to the wire rack to allow the excess glaze to run off.
- While they're still wet, add a few sprinkles to the top of each muffin.
Be sure to use rainbow jimmies in this recipe. This type of sprinkle holds up to being mixed into batter without bleeding and keeps its color.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 252mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2018 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!
Thank you Lois, everything looks delicious!
Erin Table for Seven says
Yay! Thanks for the feature Lois and party 🙂 Have a wonderful week!
Thank you for joining our parties every week Erin!
Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook says
Hello, Lois! Thanks a bunch for hosting! Have a lovely week! x
Melanie & Gina says
Very cool! We really appreciate you sharing our healthy dinner recipe ideas!
Thank you for joining our party every week and bringing such yummy recipes!
Gina Kleinworth says
Oh wow - thank you for sharing my blueberry cake! 🙂 Happy Tuesday!
Thank you for joining our party every week Gina! It's a delicious looking recipe!