The perfect excuse for eating chocolate for breakfast is with these delicious chocolate chunk muffins from a cake mix. This recipe has been updated since it first appeared on my site in 2016 with new photos and a new printable recipe card.
Chocolate Chunk Muffins from a Cake Mix
Yes, you can have chocolate for breakfast and these Chocolate Chunk Muffins from a Cake Mix are the perfect recipe to enjoy!
Every once in awhile it’s nice to make something sweet and delicious for breakfast for your family. Maybe you’re hosting a brunch at your house or you’re having overnight guests to your home at some point this summer.
These chocolate chunk muffins are the perfect treat to add to your breakfast menu SOON because they don’t require much work to bake them. As a matter of fact, they start out with a cake mix so it doesn’t get any easier than that to enjoy a little chocolate for breakfast with your family this weekend.
TIPS FOR BAKING MUFFINS
- Spray the cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray to make sure the muffin doesn’t stick. I started doing this years ago when the paper liners were sticking to whatever I was baking.
- You can also use a Silicon Muffin Tray and you won’t need paper baking cups.
- I always bake muffins or cupcakes on the center rack in my oven.
- If for some reason, the muffin pan is not completely filled with muffin batter, fill the empty cups in the pan with water.
- Always follow baking time directions, but you’ll know when the muffins are done when you insert a toothpick into the center of the muffin and it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs sticking to it. If you have batter sticking to the toothpick, you need to bake them for a few extra minutes.
How to Make Chocolate Chunk Muffins
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix – 15.25 ounce. This is the current size of a boxed cake mix when this recipe was updated in 2019.
- Additional flour – about two tablespoons to toss the chocolate chunks in before adding to the batter to help them not sink to the bottom of the mix when baking.
- Vegetable oil
- One teaspoon baking powder – Adding the teaspoon of baking powder to the mix helps boost the freshness of the cake mix. Because, let’s be honest, sometimes we have cake mixes sitting in our pantry for a long time. Or maybe it’s just in my house?
- Chocolate Chunks or Chocolate Chips – either works fine!
Let’s Get Baking!
- Combine the chocolate chunks or chocolate chips with the 2 tbsp of flour and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl except the chocolate chunks.
- After the batter has been combined, then stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups – I love using a cookie scoop!
- Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
How to Freeze Muffins
Sometimes you have leftovers. Additionally, there are times you need to bake ahead for a special weekend where you’re expecting company. Here’s a few simple tips on how you can freeze the muffins to enjoy at a later time:
- Bake the muffins according to the directions and allow them to cool completely.
- Place the muffins on a baking tray that’s been lined with parchment paper.
- Then place the baking tray in the freezer to flash freeze the muffins for about 30 to 60 minutes. Make sure the muffins are frozen and not still soft otherwise they will stick together when you freeze them.
- Place the frozen muffins in a freezer safe container or plastic bag.
- Muffins frozen like this should last at least two months.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes
- Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Muffins – these are my favorite!
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins – easy basic muffin recipe
- Bakery Style Blueberry Streussel Muffins
Depending on the size of your muffin pan, this recipe should make 12 to 16 muffins. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 101mg Carbohydrates: 18g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
Depending on the size of your muffin pan, this recipe should make 12 to 16 muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.