The perfect excuse for eating chocolate for breakfast is with these delicious chocolate chunk muffins from a cake mix. Let me show you how to turn a boring box of cake mix into something delicious! Make sure you check out my Cake Mix Baking Secrets and Printable for more great cake mix ideas.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared on my site in 2016 with new photos and a new printable recipe card.
Yes, you can have chocolate for breakfast and these Chocolate Chunk Muffins from a Cake Mix are the perfect recipe to enjoy!
Every once in awhile it’s nice to make something sweet and delicious for breakfast for your family. Maybe you’re hosting a brunch at your house or you’re having overnight guests to your home at some point this summer.
These chocolate chunk muffins are the perfect treat to add to your breakfast menu SOON because they don’t require much work to bake them. As a matter of fact, they start out with a cake mix so it doesn’t get any easier than that to enjoy a little chocolate for breakfast with your family this weekend.
TIPS FOR BAKING MUFFINS
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Spray the cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray to make sure the muffin doesn’t stick. I started doing this years ago when the paper liners were sticking to whatever I was baking.
- You can also use a Silicon Muffin Tray and you won’t need paper baking cups.
- I always bake muffins or cupcakes on the center rack in my oven.
- If for some reason, the muffin pan is not completely filled with muffin batter, fill the empty cups in the pan with water.
- Always follow baking time directions, but you’ll know when the muffins are done when you insert a toothpick into the center of the muffin and it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs sticking to it. If you have batter sticking to the toothpick, you need to bake them for a few extra minutes.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix – 15.25 ounce. This is the current size of a boxed cake mix when this recipe was updated in 2019.
- Additional flour – about two tablespoons to toss the chocolate chunks in before adding to the batter to help them not sink to the bottom of the mix when baking.
- Vegetable oil
- One teaspoon baking powder – Adding the teaspoon of baking powder to the mix helps boost the freshness of the cake mix. Because, let’s be honest, sometimes we have cake mixes sitting in our pantry for a long time. Or maybe it’s just in my house?
- Chocolate Chunks or Chocolate Chips – either works fine!
Combine the chocolate chunks or chocolate chips with the 2 tbsp of flour and set aside. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl except the chocolate chunks.
After the batter has been combined, then stir in the chocolate chunks.
Spoon into prepared muffin cups – I love using a cookie scoop!
Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
Now, doesn’t THIS look like something you’d love for breakfast?
How to Freeze Muffins
Sometimes you have leftovers. Additionally, there are times you need to bake ahead for a special weekend where you’re expecting company. Here’s a few simple tips on how you can freeze the muffins to enjoy at a later time:
- Bake the muffins according to the directions and allow them to cool completely.
- Place the muffins on a baking tray that’s been lined with parchment paper.
- Then place the baking tray in the freezer to flash freeze the muffins for about 30 to 60 minutes. Make sure the muffins are frozen and not still soft otherwise they will stick together when you freeze them.
- Place the frozen muffins in a freezer safe container or plastic bag.
- Muffins frozen like this should last at least two months.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes
- Cheesecake Chocolate Chip Muffins – these are my favorite!
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins – easy basic muffin recipe
- Bakery Style Blueberry Streussel Muffins
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- Combine the chocolate chunks or chocolate chips with the 2 tbsp of flour and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl except the chocolate chunks.
- After the batter has been combined, then stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Depending on the size of your muffin pan, this recipe should make 12 to 16 muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
5 Secrets for Baking Delicious Desserts that Start with a Cake Mix!
Discover my secrets for making a delicious dessert that starts with an ordinary cake mix.