Chewy Gingersnap Cookies - filled with molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Our 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Celebration continues today with this very popular cookie recipe.
This is a completely new cookie recipe for me. I know it might be hard to believe, but I've never made chewy gingersnap cookies before I joined this 12 Days of Christmas Cookie Challenge.
These cookies have just the right blend of spices and a wonderfully buttery crisp texture. However, they're still a pretty chewy cookie once you bite into them. Not only delicious but this easy cookie recipe will fill your house with a warm heavenly scent while baking
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable shortening
- Granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- Ground ginger
- Baking soda
- Ground cloves
To being with, cream together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and ½ cup granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand-held mixer. You can use your KitchenAid mixer as well. Next, mix in the molasses. Finally add the eggs and mix to combine.
How to Add the Dry Ingredients
In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Continue by adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Then transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
How to Shape the Cookies
Once the dough has chilled for about an hour, remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls of dough in remaining ½ cup granulated sugar until coated.
Next, place the balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each ball.
Then place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 8 - 11 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through. Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack before serving.
Ready for More Christmas Cookies?
These cookie recipes will be great for hosting a cookie exchange, give away cookies as gifts or just bake for your own family.
- No-Bake OREO Snowball Cookies
- Cranberry Pistachio Oatmeal Cookies
- Gingerbread Kiss Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Peppermint Cookies
- Shortbread Cookies – my favorite cookies all year long!
- Heart Shaped Short Bread Cookies
- Slice and Bake Colorful Swirl Cookies
- Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
- Classic Oatmeal Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream the butter, shortening,brown sugar, and ½ cup granulated sugar.
- Mix in the molasses, and then add the eggs and mix to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated.Transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
- While the dough is chilling, place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls of dough in remaining ½ cup granulated sugar until coated.
- Place balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each ball.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 8 - 11 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.