Put away the canning equipment and let me show you how to make easy refrigerator pickles. Let's face it, there's only so much cucumber salad you can make for your family when your garden is over-growing. You only need 7 ingredients to pickle and preserve cucumbers long after summer is over!
Refrigerator pickles are exactly what their name says. They're stored in the refrigerator. There is no water bath needed for canning and storing on a pantry shelf.
The best thing about making these Easy Refrigerator Pickles is that you do not need any fancy equipment and you only need 7 ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry.
You don't even need glass mason jars to make these pickles. Plastic containers work fine. However, you should check with the manufacture of the plastic containers you want to use to make sure they're safe for storing food long term.
Garden Planner - 10 printable planning pages to help guide you through designing the perfect garden to grow flowers, fruits, herbs and vegetables.Tips for Growing and Drying 15 Different Herbs. Garden Planner Printable and Mint Tea Recipe Included.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Mason jars - I used the 8 ounce size. If you're re-using mason jars, make sure you purchase new lids and rings.
- Mason Jar Funnel
- Measuring cups
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- 2 pounds cucumbers
- White Vinegar
- Pickling Spices - see below for info on where to purchase.
- 4 cloves garlic
- Fresh Dill
Please note, this recipe should yield about 32 pickle spears,depending on the size of the cucumbers you use.
Can you buy Pickling Spice?
Obviously the answer to this question is yes. Here is the pickling spice mix I purchased on Amazon to make our easy refrigerator pickles.
Step 1: Prepare the Cucumbers
Slice and quarter the cucumbers lengthwise.
In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water, vinegar, sugar, and pickling spices to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
Step 2: Add the Garlic and Herbs
Drop 2 cloves of garlic and 2 sprigs of dill into each jar.
Step 3: Add the Vinegar Mixture
Add the cucumber spears, packing tightly. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jars over the cucumbers.
Step 4: Seal the Jars
Seal the jars tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 days before serving.
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
Some resources say they last for only a few weeks but they should keep in the refrigerator up to 4 to 6 months. Although they may not be as crispy.
Yes! Do not store them on a shelf in your pantry like you would traditional canned pickles, they will spoil.
Pickling spice is a blend of 6 to 8 seasonings and spices such as mustard seed, allspice, coriander seeds, cloves, ginger, red pepper flakes, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. You can make homemade pickling spice by combining the spices or you can purchase a pre-made kind like I did for this recipe.
Ready for more Garden Fresh Vegetable Recipes?
- How to Peel Homegrown Tomatoes
- Baked Crispy Eggplant
- Stuffed Zucchini
- Zucchini Pizza Bites
- The Best Herbs to Grow for Cooking
- 2 pounds cucumbers, quartered lengthwise
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 ¼ cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canning and pickling salt
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh dill
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring water, vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and cool slightly.
- Drop 2 cloves of garlic and 2 sprigs of dill into each jar. Add the cucumber spears, packing tightly.
- Pour the vinegar mixture into the jars over the cucumbers.
- Seal the jars tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 days before serving.
- This recipe should yield 3 to 4 jars of pickles, depending on the size of mason jar you use. For this recipe I used the 8 ounce size mason jars.
- Refrigerator pickles must be stored in the refrigerator.
- They should keep in the refrigerator up to 4 to 6 months. Although they may not be as crispy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 8Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.