Chicken Stuffed with Ricotta Cheese and Spinach - tender boneless chicken breasts pounded thin and then rolled up with a savory mixture of ricotta cheese, herbs and spinach. This is another Family Friendly Chicken Recipe that's perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Don't you just love when you find an easy chicken recipe? Chicken really is an easy protein to work with for dinner. But it can get boring if you are constantly using the same recipes.
This recipe for ricotta stuffed chicken is an updated version for Skinnytaste Style Chicken which is a very popular recipe here on the blog that I posted a few years ago.
So why update it? Well, I wanted to see if I could make it without the breadcrumbs or added mozzarella cheese as the original recipe calls for. I like THIS version so much better.
This Italian stuffed chicken breast with ricotta cheese and spinach makes a great dinner recipe. I know your family will love this recipe as much as mine.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Meat Tenderizer - for years I used the back of a stainless steel measuring cup. This meat tenderizer works so much better!
- Instant Read Digital Thermometer
- Pyrex Clear Baking Dishes - these are my favorite. I love the ones with lids to help with leftovers or preparing food earlier in the day.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts; pounded thin
- Parmesan cheese
- Frozen spinach; squeezed dry
- Ricotta cheese
- Homemade marinara sauce - try my Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce!
- Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, spinach and Parmesan cheese together. Make sure your spinach is squeezed completely dry.
Place boneless chicken breasts on top of waxed paper and lightly pound them with the flat side of a meat mallet until the chicken is even in thickness.
Spread some of the cheese/spinach mixture on top of each chicken breast. Roll each chicken breast up and secure with toothpicks if needed.
Cooking Tip: Use a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper on top of the cutting board to make cleanup easy!
Spread a layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Place each chicken breast in the baking dish seam side down.Sprinkle each chicken breast with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Side Dishes to Serve:
I served buttered noodles with steamed broccoli alongside this recipe. But I think you could serve spaghetti or even sauteed zucchini. My recipe for zucchini casserole would make a perfect side dish as well as Fresh Tomato Salad.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
Like this recipe? Try these other Chicken Dinner Recipes:
- Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Mozzarella, Tomatoes and Basil
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
- Chicken Cutlets Italian Style
- Crock Pot Salsa Chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; pounded thin
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup frozen spinach; squeezed dry
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup homemade marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, spinach and Parmesan cheese together.
- Make sure your spinach is squeezed completely dry.
- Place boneless chicken breasts on top of waxed paper and lightly pound them with the flat side of a meat mallet until the chicken is even in thickness.
- Spread some of the cheese/spinach mixture on top of each chicken breast.
- Roll each chicken breast up and secure with toothpicks if needed.
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place each chicken breast in the baking dish seam side down.
- Sprinkle each chicken breast with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
You can brush a little olive oil on top of each chicken breast before sprinkling the seasonings if you desire.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 1208mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 59g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2016 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!