Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is full of garden-fresh zucchini baked in a delicious creamy cheese sauce. This is a delicious recipe to make for an easy side dish to go along with grilled chicken. You can even serve this for brunch along with scrambled eggs.
Did you know, this recipe could easily be Keto-friendly if you omit the crushed crackers on top. It’s just another favorite Easy Zucchini Recipes that’s also low carb too!
One of the things I love most about summer is spending time in my garden. We have a little over an acre here in our corner of the world. Over the 16 years we have lived here, we’ve created a lovely vegetable garden where we grow an assortment of veggies and pumpkins. Our garden is pretty rustic, but it’s ours and I love it.
Zucchini is one of those vegetables that every gardener seems to grow. Rightfully so since zucchini grows fast and in abundance!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
- Baking Dish – there’s something about the color of this 9X13 baking dish that makes me happy. This is the color I love decorating our kitchen with lately.
- Flexible Cutting Mats – please tell me you know about these and love them as much as I do!
- Cheese Grater – one of my favorites that I have and use in my kitchen.
- Zucchini – about 2 nice sized ones
- Shredded Cheese – I chose to use mozzarella cheese because I always have that on hand. You can use another creamy white cheese like Gruyere, Monterey Jack or even white cheddar cheese.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Half and Half
- Seasonings – I chose to use my House Seasoning Blend of garlic powder, salt and freshly ground pepper. You can add fresh garlic or even add Italian seasoning.
- Crushed Ritz crackers or another buttery type cracker – optional. You’ll need about 1/3 cup of crushed crackers. Of course, you can add more if you want.
How to Prepare the Cheese Sauce
To begin with, in a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it is completely combined allowing the flour to cook for about one minute.
Next, slowly stir in the half and half along with two teaspoons of your choice of seasoning. Again, I used my Homemade House Seasoning blend.
Once the sauce has started to thicken, add the cheeses and stir until combined and the sauce is thick.
How to Put the Casserole Together
In the meantime, keep the sauce warm while you slice the zucchini. Place the zucchini in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Next spoon the cheese sauce on top making sure you cover as much of the zucchini slices as possible.
Low Carb Keto-Friendly Casserole
In addition to this recipe being a low-carb recipe, you can also make it a keto-friendly recipe. If you add the crushed crackers, well then it’s no longer keto-friendly. That being said, I think the crushed crackers add a nice little crunch.
Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the crushed Ritz crackers.
Bake the casserole in a 375 degree preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the cracker topping is slightly browned.
Lastly, this recipe is perfect just as it is by itself or as a side dish to grilled chicken. Earlier this month, I actually served it with my Spinach, Bacon, Cheese Frittata for Sunday brunch.
More Delicious Zucchini Recipes:
- Zucchini Corn Casserole
- Grilled Steak with Zucchini Spiral Noodles – another low carb recipe!
- Zucchini Ricotta Mozzarella Galatte
This Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a low carb recipe but can be made into a Keto-friendly recipe by omitting the crushed cracker topping. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
choice of seasoning.
slices as possible.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
This Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a low carb recipe but can be made into a Keto-friendly recipe by omitting the crushed cracker topping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.