Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is full of garden-fresh zucchini baked in a delicious creamy cheese sauce. This is a delicious recipe to make for an easy side dish to go along with grilled chicken. You can even serve this for brunch along with scrambled eggs.
Did you know, this recipe could easily be Keto-friendly if you omit the crushed crackers on top. It's just another favorite Easy Zucchini Recipes that's also low carb too!
One of the things I love most about summer is spending time in my garden. We have a little over an acre here in our corner of the world. Over the 16 years we have lived here, we've created a lovely vegetable garden where we grow an assortment of veggies and pumpkins. Our garden is pretty rustic, but it's ours and I love it.
Zucchini is one of those vegetables that every gardener seems to grow. Rightfully so since zucchini grows fast and in abundance!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.
- Zucchini - about 2 nice sized ones
- Shredded Cheese - I chose to use mozzarella cheese because I always have that on hand. You can use another creamy white cheese like Gruyere, Monterey Jack or even white cheddar cheese.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Half and Half
- Seasonings - I chose to use my House Seasoning Blend of garlic powder, salt and freshly ground pepper. You can add fresh garlic or even add Italian seasoning.
- Crushed Ritz crackers or another buttery type cracker - optional. You'll need about ⅓ cup of crushed crackers. Of course, you can add more if you want.
How to Prepare the Cheese Sauce
To begin with, in a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it is completely combined allowing the flour to cook for about one minute.
Next, slowly stir in the half and half along with two teaspoons of your choice of seasoning. Again, I used my Homemade House Seasoning blend.
Once the sauce has started to thicken, add the cheeses and stir until combined and the sauce is thick.
How to Put the Casserole Together
In the meantime, keep the sauce warm while you slice the zucchini. Place the zucchini in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Next spoon the cheese sauce on top making sure you cover as much of the zucchini slices as possible.
Low Carb Keto-Friendly Casserole
In addition to this recipe being a low-carb recipe, you can also make it a keto-friendly recipe. If you add the crushed crackers, well then it's no longer keto-friendly. That being said, I think the crushed crackers add a nice little crunch.
Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the crushed Ritz crackers.
Bake the casserole in a 375 degree preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the cracker topping is slightly browned.
Lastly, this recipe is perfect just as it is by itself or as a side dish to grilled chicken. Earlier this month, I actually served it with my Spinach, Bacon, Cheese Frittata for Sunday brunch.
More Delicious Zucchini Recipes:
- Zucchini Corn Casserole
- Grilled Steak with Zucchini Spiral Noodles - another low carb recipe!
- Zucchini Ricotta Mozzarella Galatte
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium sized zucchini
- ⅓ cup crushed Ritz crackers
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk until it is completely combined allowing the flour to cook for about one minute.
- Slowly stir in the half and half along with two teaspoons of your
choice of seasoning.
- Once the sauce has started to thicken, add the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until combined and the cheese begins to melt and the sauce thickens.
- Keep the sauce warm while you slice the zucchini into rounds.
- Place the zucchini rounds in the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spoon the cheese sauce on top making sure you cover as much of the zucchini
slices as possible.
- Sprinkle the crushed Ritz crackers on top.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and the cracker topping is slightly browned.
This Cheesy Zucchini Casserole is a low carb recipe but can be made into a Keto-friendly recipe by omitting the crushed cracker topping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 366mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.