If you're hosting a barbecue or backyard get-together over the summer, you might want to think of family and friends who are being health-conscious and mindful of what they eat. Today I'm sharing with you 4th of July Healthy Food Ideas and recipes that are lower in fat and calories. They're also great alternatives to the usual 4th of July foods and barbecue menu you're probably used to preparing.
Usually when putting together a 4th of July menu, I stick to tried and true recipes my family and friends have always loved. But lately I know a few family members are really trying to watch what they eat. I'd like to have a few 4th of July healthy food ideas available.
Most traditional 4th of July foods tend to be higher in calories, fat and sugar. However, there are options that we can all enjoy that are not only delicious but healthy!
Tips for Eating Smart at BBQ's:
Here are a few tips and 4th of July healthy food ideas that will help make sure you don't overdo it at summer parties and barbecues. Always try to load up on a variety of food and don't deprive yourself too much because that will only make you overeat:
- Stick to portion control.
- Don't deprive yourself of what you really want. Try to have a few bites of your favorite potato salad instead of a whole plate full.
- If you're attending a party, offer to bring a healthy side dish.
- Choose a lean protein if you can. Turkey burgers are better than ground beef burgers.
- Eat your burger bun-free. That way you can have a serving of pasta or potato salad.
- Take the skin off the grilled or barbecue chicken.
- Look for vinegar based salads instead of mayonnaise based salads.
- Stick to fruit for desserts.
Check out a few more summer holiday ideas:
- Homemade Peach Iced Tea
- Strawberry Lemonade Punch you should add a few blueberries to this punch to really bring the red, white and blue colors to the picnic table.
- Check out my post on How to Grill the Best Burger before you light the grill.
- How to Freeze, Defrost and Cook Ground Beef is always helpful during the summer grilling season.
- Easy Marinade for Steak or my favorite Steak Seasoning Salt to help you grill steak to perfection every time.
Helpful Tools for the Perfect BBQ Celebration: