Bread Machine Overnight Cinnamon Rolls – take the worry out of making homemade cinnamon rolls and let your bread machine do most of the work. Thick, sweet, mouth-watering rolls that start out with dough made in a bread machine. I know you’re going to agree with me that this is probably my Best Cinnamon Roll Recipe ever!
This is another easy recipe to form cinnamon rolls like my Frozen Bread Cinnamon Rolls Recipe. Only this recipe uses a bread machine to help us put together the yeast dough.
However, we’re not going to use the bread machine to actually bake the cinnamon rolls. Instead we’ll use the bread machine to form the dough. So if working with yeast intimidates you, like my Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Recipe, THIS is a recipe you definitely want to try!
Another easy recipe is making my Homemade Cinnamon Rolls using Biscuits. This recipe uses canned refrigerator biscuits as the dough base for cinnamon rolls. Easy!
Cinnamon Rolls with Bread Dough
Using the “dough” setting on a bread machine will combine the ingredients, knead the dough and allow it to rise the first time all in the machine. The machine should beep when the dough is ready to shape and form into rolls.
Bread Machine Overnight Cinnamon Rolls are another Christmas Breakfast Recipe to help you relax and enjoy Christmas morning with your family. This recipe comes very close to tasting just like Cinnabon cinnamon rolls. Really!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Bread Machine– it goes without saying that you need one for this recipe.
- 9X13 Casserole dish – this is my favorite colored dish to use especially when I’m serving breakfast to company.
- Digital Meat Thermometer – life is so much easier when you check the temperature of water or milk with an instant read thermometer.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Warm Milk – heat the milk in the microwave in 30 second intervals until it reaches 100 to 105 degrees.
- Oil – I used vegetable oil.
- Egg and egg whites – this keeps the dough from getting dense.
- Sugar – this is a slightly sweet dough recipe.
- Flour – always measure properly. See note below for my measuring tips.
- Salt – for flavor.
- Yeast – no need to worry about proofing yeast for this recipe!
Baking Tip: Measure the flour properly by first whisking it lightly and then level off each measuring cup with the back of a knife.
Step 1: Prepare the Dough in the Bread Machine
When preparing dough in a bread machine it’s very important to add the ingredients exactly as listed in the recipe. You do not need to proof the yeast either.
Add the warm milk, oil, beaten egg and egg whites along with the sugar to the bottom of the bread machine.
Next add the flour, salt and then the yeast. I like to add the yeast to a little “well” in the center of the flour.
Turn the bread machine on to the dough setting, press start and go do something else. It’s that easy!
Step 2: Remove the Dough from the Bread Machine
Your bread machine should beep when the dough is ready to remove from and being forming into rolls. Look how beautiful the bread dough looks!
Knead the dough just a few times to get it into the shape of a large round ball. It’s so beautiful and easy to work with!
Step 3: Form the Cinnamon Rolls
On a lightly flour surface, roll out the dough into a large rectangle measuring 15×10 inches. Then brush the entire surface with the melted butter.
Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture evenly on top. Then beginning at the edge closest to you, start rolling up the dough into a tight cylinder. Press the seam tightly making sure it’s sealed so nothing leaks out while baking.
Step 4: How to Slice the Cinnamon Rolls
I always use my ruler to make sure I slice the rolls evenly. Depending on how thick you slice the rolls, you should get around 12 rolls.
Using a serrated knife, I made a slice every 1 1/2 inches up the cylinder.
Doesn’t that look beautiful? It’s a perfectly rolled and sliced homemade cinnamon roll with dough made in a bread machine!
Next place the bread machine cinnamon rolls in a 9X12 casserole dish that’s been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Step 5: Baking the Cinnamon Rolls
The next morning, take the baking dish out of the refrigerator and allow the rolls to sit on the counter for about an hour. They need to come to room temperature before baking and might even rise a little bit more.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 6: Prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting
While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the homemade cream cheese frosting.
Allow the cinnamon rolls to cool for about 15 minutes before spreading your glaze on top. If you spread the glaze too soon, it will melt and not be the proper consistency.
Frequently Asked Recipe Questions
According to Google, the secret ingredient is the type of cinnamon they use. They use Makara cinnamon which is less sweet and has a lot more flavor than the traditional cinnamon we’re used to purchasing in a grocery store.
For this recipe I used all purpose flour. I actually tried the recipe two times using bread flour and both times it would not come together in the bread machine.
Ready for more great recipes? Try these other Cinnamon Roll Recipes:
- Freezer Friendly Cinnamon Rolls – I gave these as gifts a few years ago to family and friends. Printables available as well!
- Frozen Bread Dough Cinnamon Rolls made using frozen bread dough – when you think you don’t have enough time for a traditional yeast bread recipe, try this one!
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Casserole – uses refrigerator cinnamon rolls to create a delicious casserole that’s easy to put together!
- Cinnamon Roll French Toast Recipe – the tastes of French toast and cinnamon rolls combined into one easy recipe ready in under 20 minutes.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don’t forget to rate it!
For the Dough:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg and 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons yeast
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup melted or softened butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons softened butter; not melted
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Dough:
- Place all the ingredients for the dough inside the bread machine in the order they are listed.
- Turn the bread machine on to the dough only cycle.
- After the cycle is completed, remove the dough and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle about 15 inches by 10 inches.
- Brush the melted butter over the entire surface of the dough using a pastry brush.
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Then spread evenly over the entire surface of the bread dough.
How to Roll the Dough
- Beginning at the end closest to you, start rolling the dough up into a tight cylinder.
- Slice the dough into 12 pieces about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches thick. You can also choose to make them smaller if you prefer.
- Place the cinnamon rolls in a 9X13 baking dish that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
How to Bake the Cinnamon Rolls
- In the morning, remove the cinnamon rolls from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature for about an hour. They will puff up even more.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
How to Prepare the Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachments, combine together all the ingredients until smooth making sure you scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Allow the baked cinnamon rolls to cool for 15 minutes before spreading the cream cheese frosting on top.
Depending on the type of bread machine you use, the prep time will vary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.