This breakfast casserole with eggs and sausage is one of my favorite easy morning recipes. My go-to ingredients are eggs, sausage, sour cream and cheese, mixed with a few veggies like onions, red and green peppers.
If you're looking for an easy breakfast recipe that will please everyone, look no further than this delicious casserole. Make sure you also check out the other Breakfast Ideas available to help you start the morning off with a great meal.
Breakfast casseroles are always perfect for feeding a crowd because most recipes can be made ahead of time and baked in the morning. Plus, it's always a hit with kids and adults alike.
Simply combine eggs, and sausage with milk, sour cream, sauteed onions and peppers in a baking dish, cheddar cheese and bake! In just 45 minutes you'll have a piping hot Breakfast Casserole with Eggs and Sausage that will start your day off right.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try - you won't be disappointed!
Table of Contents
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
Step 1 | Cook the Sausage, Peppers and Onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9X13 pan by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the pork sausage to a large skillet and start breaking it up. Using a mix and chop kitchen tool is really the easiest way to get all the pieces chopped up evenly.
- Using a collander, drain the grease from the sausage and set aside.
- Add the onion, red and green peppers to the same skillet and cook until they are soft and tender; maybe 4 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the skillet and combine with the peppers and onions.
- Set aside to cool while you prepare the egg mixture.
Step 2 | Prepare the Egg Mixture
- Combine the eggs, sour cream, milk together. Mix well using either an electric mixer or a whisk. Make sure all the eggs are broken up.
- Add the sausage, peppers and onion mixture to a bowl and pour the egg mixture on top. Stir to combine.
- Add the cheese and combine; reserve about ½ cup of cheese.
Step 3 | Baking Instructions
- Pour the mixture into the prepared 9x13 casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the center is set and firm.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
What to Serve with a Breakfast Casserole:
- Fruit salad would be nice as a side dish. If you were serving this casserole recipe later in the morning, you could serve a side salad or a pasta salad.
- Muffins like my Chocolate Chunk Muffins would be really good too!
- Breakfast Parfaits with yogurt, fruit and homemade granola.
- And if you're looking for something to drink besides the obvious of coffee and orange juice, try one of my fruit infused sparkling water recipes.
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
- If you're not a fan of pork sausage, try baked crumbled bacon.
- You could also use different veggies like fresh spinach or chopped broccoli.
- Check out my other recipe for Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns or my Sweet Breakfast Casserole that's filled with fresh strawberries and blueberries.
Prep Ahead Tips
- You can put this recipe together and refrigerate overnight. Make sure you cover it with either a casserole lid or aluminum foil.
- The next morning, take the casserole out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before continuing with the baking directions.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 5 days.
- 2 pounds ground pork sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup green pepper; diced
- ½ cup red pepper; diced
- ¼ cup white onion; diced
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9X13 casserole dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ground pork sausage and cook until browned making sure you break up the sausage into small pieces as it cooks.
- Drain the sausage into a collander and set aside for a few minutes while you cook the peppers and onions.
- Add the onion, red and green peppers to the sam eskillet and cook until they are soft and tender; maybe 4 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the skillet and combine with the vegetables.
- Remove the sausage and vegetables from the skillet and place in a bowl to cool slightly while you prepare the egg mixture.
- Combine the eggs, sour cream and milk together. Mix well using either an electric mixer or a whisk. Make sure all the eggs are broken up.
- Pour the egg mixture over the slighltly cooled sausage mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the cheese and combine; reserving about ½ cup of cheese.
- Pour the entire mixture into the prepared 9X13 casserole dish and then sprinkle the ½ cup cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven or until the center is set and firm.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
I used Jimmy Dean Ground Pork Sausage for this recipe.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 281mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.