Breaded Chicken Cutlets - chicken breasts pounded thin and then breaded with a combination of flour and seasoned breadcrumbs, this is another chicken cutlet recipe that's ready in under 20 minutes. This is a great recipe to make extra and freeze for later. You'll always have something on hand to make for dinner at the last minute. Pair this recipe with your family's favorite side dish and dinner is served!
This recipe for breaded chicken cutlets is different from my popular Italian Style Chicken Cutlets. For this recipe, I dip the chicken cutlets into the flour first helps the egg wash stick better to the surface of the chicken.
I just started doing this for a few of my family favorite chicken recipes and chicken cutlet recipes. It really does help to keep the breadcrumbs sticking to the surface of the chicken; which can be a problem when preparing any form of breaded chicken.
If you're looking for more chicken recipes to add to your Weekly Meal Plan, check out a few of my family's favorites. I love adding having these recipes in my "arsenal," so to speak because they cook fast.
- Baked Chicken Cutlet Recipes
- Chicken Cutlets with Gravy - if your family loves chicken with gravy, but you don't have the time to make it, try this recipe!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
- Digital Meat Thermometer - use this to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
- Meat mallet - before I broke down and purchased one I used the back of a heavy measuring cup. A meat mallet works so much better.
- Parchment Baking Sheets - I love using these sheets for not only baking but to help me prep chicken. Keeps my cutting boards clean from germs.
Main Ingredients Needed
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooking Tip: For detailed instructions with step-by-step photos, check out my post on how to get chicken cutlets thin so they cook fast.
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
Dip the chicken cutlets one at a time in the flour, eggs and then into the breadcrumbs. Make sure both sides of the chicken are covered in breadcrumbs.
I like to place the chicken cutlets on a baking tray lined with parchment paper to "rest" while the oil heats in the cast iron skillet.
Step 2: How to Cook the Chicken
I love using my Lodge cast iron skillet pan, however, if you don't have one, a heavy frying pan works too.
Add the vegetable oil to the pan and allow it to heat up. Do not add the chicken until the oil is hot, otherwise the chicken will absorb the oil and not get crispy.
Cook the chicken for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side; or until the internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Depending on how thin the cutlets are, they might cook faster or take a little longer. This is why I always recommend using a Digital Meat Thermometer to check before removing the chicken from the cast iron skillet.
Step 3: What pairs well with Chicken Cutlets?
I chose to serve rice pilaf and steamed green beans with this recipe the other night because both cook fast and I needed to get dinner on the table quickly.
Other family favorite side dishes are:
- Mashed potatoes
- Easy Mac and Cheese or even air fryer twice baked potatoes.
- If it’s summer time and you have access to fresh tomatoes, I would definitely serve my fresh tomato salad.
- Summer Fresh Salad would also be a great side dish recipe to serve with chicken.
Make sure you look through all my favorites on what to serve with this easy recipe here in my Side Dishes for Chicken Cutlets.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
FREQUENTLY ASKED RECIPE QUESTIONS
Very simply, a chicken cutlet is a thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breast that's pounded thin so it cooks fast.
Because chicken cutlets are pounded thin, they cook fast. Most recipes are usually done in under 20 minutes. However, always use a digital meat thermometer to check the internal temperature reaches 165°.
Ready for more great recipes?
- Stuffed Chicken Cutlets – pounded thin boneless, skinless chicken breasts rolled up with a savory bread stuffing. Then cooked in a delicious gravy till tender.
- Fried Chicken Cutlets - crispy, tender thin-sliced chicken breasts coated in flour then fried till golden brown.
- 30 Minute Caprese Chicken Recipe - This is a unstuffed caprese chicken recipe that's ready in 30 minutes. Fresh tomato salad and mozzarella cheese on top of breaded chicken cutlets.
- 4 chicken cutlets; see note below
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Add the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs to three separate bowls.
- Dip the chicken cutlets one at a time in the flour, eggs and then into the breadcrumbs. Make sure both sides of the chicken are covered in breadcrumbs. Then place on a baking tray while you get the cast iron skillet ready.
- Add the vegetable oil to the pan and allow it to heat up. Do not add the chicken until the oil is hot, otherwise the chicken will absorb the oil and not get crispy.
- Cook the chicken for about 6 to 8 minutes on each side; or until the internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Depending on how thin the cutlets are, they might cook faster or take a little longer. This is why I always recommend using a Digital Meat Thermometer to check before removing the chicken from the cast iron skillet.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
How to get Thin Chicken Cutlets:
- Lay the boneless skinless chicken breast on a cutting board that's been lined with waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Slice the chicken breast horizontally into two even pieces.
- Cover the chicken breasts with another sheet of parchment paper and using the smooth side of a mallet, gently pound the chicken until it is thin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 627Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 241mgSodium: 626mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 40g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.