BBQ Chicken Slider Sandwiches are an easy recipe to make when you're feeding a crowd. They're also a great idea to make when you need to get dinner on the table fast. These are easy to prepare because they start out with leftover shredded chicken and are perfect for nights you think you're too busy or tired to cook!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
I've made slider sandwiches a few times in a few different ways but today I'm going to share with you how to make the very best BBQ Chicken Slider Sandwiches ever. Yes, ever!
Have you ever had a slider sandwich? They are quickly becoming my favorite way to prepare a meal for a busy weeknight. You can turn almost anything into a fun little sandwich.
For this recipe you'll need shredded chicken. You can either prepare shredded chicken for this recipe, use leftover chicken or purchase a rotisserie chicken.
I like to make my shredded chicken in the crock pot. Chicken always comes out tender and moist cooked slow and low. It's also very easy to shred using two forks or even an electric mixer.
BBQ Chicken Sliders Hawaiian Rolls
In order to build the perfect slider sandwich, you need to use the perfect rolls. Either of the following type of rolls will work, but I love to use Hawaiian Rolls:
- Hawaiian Dinner Rolls - are really the best.
- Sarah Lee Dinner Rolls - these work great too if you can't find the original Hawaiian Dinner Rolls.
- Melted Garlic Butter - is what makes the sandwiches taste amazing!
- You're favorite fillings. I used leftover shredded chicken that I then added barbecue sauce to. But you can make ham and cheese, meatball, etc.
Once you have the proper slider sandwich or dinner rolls, don't break them apart. You may also need to hide them from your family so they don't start snacking on them.
The secret to making these is to make one big sandwich and then cut them after they've baked. For this recipe I only used HALF the rolls since it was just my hubby and me for dinner.
- Slider Rolls
- Shredded Chicken
- Barbecue Sauce
- Cooked Bacon
- Chopped Red Onion
- Cheddar Cheese
- Homemade Garlic Butter
Place the shredded chicken in a bowl and add the barbecue sauce. Stir to combine.
Next, layer the shredded chicken with barbecue sauce on top of the bottom layer of rolls, followed by bacon, sliced onion, and then the cheese. Finally add the top layer of rolls on top.
How to Bake Slider Sandwiches
Place the rolls in a baking dish that's been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Then brush about 4 tablespoons of melted garlic butter on top of the rolls. If you don't want to make the garlic butter, you can use regular butter.
Bake in a 365 degree preheated oven until the tops are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
What cheese goes best with BBQ chicken
For this recipe, I used cheddar cheese. I've also made them with Swiss cheese. This recipe works well with my husband's favorite, provolone cheese. It also works great with mozzarella cheese.
It's really up to you and what your family enjoys. Try this recipe a few times using different cheeses!
Here's one I made with Swiss Cheese. These sandwiches are delicious and so easy to put together.
A few other Easy Recipes for your family:
- Not sure what to do with leftover turkey from the holidays? Try this recipe for Leftover Turkey Slider Sandwiches.
- Weekly Meal Plan - Shredded Chicken Recipes for Dinner - another great source of ideas using shredded chicken.
- Garlic Parmesan Pull Apart Monkey Bread also uses the homemade garlic butter recipe that was used for these slider sandwiches.
- 6 slider type sandwich rolls
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 4 slices bacon; cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese; shredded
- 6 tbsp. melted butter
- Place the slider rolls on a cutting board. Do not separate them.
- Slice the rolls in half and place the bottom half of rolls in a baking dish that has been sprayed for nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the shredded chicken in a bowl and add the barbecue sauce. Stir to combine.
- Put the BBQ shredded chicken on top of the rolls followed by bacon, sliced red onion and then cheese.
- Place the top half of the slider/dinner rolls on top and brush with melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated 365 degree oven until the tops of the rolls are golden brown and the cheese is melted.; about 20 minutes.
- Slice or pull apart the rolls to serve and enjoy.
You can use regular melted butter or homemade garlic butter to brush on top of the slider sandwiches.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 633Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 1099mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 33g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.