Christmas morning brunch just got exciting thanks to Christmas Breakfast French Toast Casserole! Made with brioche bread, eggs, cream cheese, and a crumb topping, this casserole is sure to become a family favorite.
This casserole is made the night before you plan on serving it...which makes Christmas morning brunch easy since all you have to do is remove the casserole from the refrigerator and bake!
Check out all the other Christmas Breakfast Recipes for even more delicious ideas for a holiday celebration.
This festive dish is the perfect combination of sweet and savory flavors, making it the star of any Christmas morning brunch.
Start a new Christmas tradition with Christmas Breakfast French Toast Casserole and find out why it’ll become a new holiday favorite!
Table of Contents
💭Brioche French Toast Casserole Overnight
Brioche bread is a yeast-raised buttery bread that originated in France centuries ago. It can be eaten savory or sweet and is commonly used in Christmas morning brunch recipes, like this Christmas Breakfast French Toast Casserole.
The combination of egg, milk, butter and flour create a flavor that is reminiscent of cake, with a soft and slightly sweet taste. Brioche is most often served as toast or French toast but can also be enjoyed plain with butter or jam.
💭Can you freeze French toast casserole?
To freeze leftovers, allow the casserole to cool completely before transferring to an airtight storage container. The dish should keep in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw the casserole overnight in the refrigerator, then heat it in your preheated oven until warm through and enjoy!
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
📋Main Ingredients Needed
Be sure to see the recipe card for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
Step 1 | Combine the Ingredients
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray and place half of the cubed bread in the bottom.
- Place the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and maple syrup into the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer and beat with the paddle attachment.
- Drop the cream cheese mixture by the spoonful to the top of the cubed bread.
- Add the remaining bread on top. Set aside.
Step 2 | Prepare the Custard
- Combine the eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Evenly pour the mixture over the bread.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 12 hours overnight.
Step 3 | Prepare the Crumb Topping
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the bread.
Step 4 | Baking Instructions
- Bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Step 5 | Serving Instructions
- Sprinkle the casserole with powdered sugar before serving.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
🍽Make it a Meal
- All you need to make this French Toast Casserole is maybe eggs with bacon or breakfast sausage.
- Check out my other recipe for Sweet Breakfast Casserole that's filled with fresh strawberries and blueberries.
- Try my Brunch Punch Non-Alcoholic recipe to serve for Christmas morning breakfast.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container. They should stay fresh up to 5 days after baking.
- You can easily reheat any leftovers in the microwave for a minute or two until heated through.
Air-Tight Storage Containers: these air-tight storage containers that help keep food fresh for longer. Use them to store fresh baked goods, cookies, fruit and vegetables, left overs, and more. The silicone lids lock to close to ensure an air tight seal. The stackable, multi-size design makes these containers easy to store. They're perfectly sized for the fridge, freezer, or cupboard.
If you find that your French toast casserole is soggy, there are a few possibilities for why this may be the case. If there’s too much egg mixture in relation to the bread in the dish, it can lead to an overly moist and soggy result. Additionally, if the bread was stored too long before making the dish or wasn’t dried properly after cubing it, this could also create a soggier end product. Finally, if you overcooked your French toast casserole, this can make it soggy as well. When baking French toast casserole, make sure all of these factors are taken into account to produce the best and least soggy result.
🌟Try these recipes next...
- 1 loaf Brioche or Challah Bread, cubed
Cream Cheese Layer:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 8 eggs
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Place half of the cubed Brioche bread in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish that's been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- In the bowl of a KichenAid mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the softened cream, powdered sugar, and maple syrup until smooth.
- Drop by spoonful to the top of the cubed bread.
- Layer the remaining bread on top.
- Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Pour evenly over the top of the bread.
- Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, up to 12 hours.
The Next Morning:
- Prepare the crumb topping by combining together the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender.
- Sprinkle the topping evely over the soaked bread.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Sprinkle it with powdered sugar before serving.
- Serve with warmed maple syrup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 572Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 301mgSodium: 443mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 15g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.