An easy recipe for Homemade Strawberry Sauce that you can use for pancakes, waffles or over ice cream!
I have a delicious homemade strawberry sauce recipe to share with you today.
A few weeks ago I purchased strawberries at the grocery store completely forgetting that my daughter is really the only one in our family that loves fresh strawberries. Olivia is currently taking summer classes at the university she attends in Florida.
Homemade Strawberry Sauce Recipe
Over the weekend, I remembered the strawberries and quickly decided to put together this homemade strawberry sauce to serve with our pancakes for breakfast. My husband and I both enjoyed spooned over our pancakes. A few days later, it was delicious spooned over vanilla ice cream.
Homemade Strawberry Sauce Ingredients
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
The first thing you need to make this easy strawberry sauce recipe is fresh strawberries. You can certainly use frozen, if that’s all you have access to, but fresh works best.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the strawberries, 1/4 cup water, orange juice and sugar. Stirring gently, bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the strawberries without mashing the berries too much.
- Simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon; around three to four minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract and cinnamon.
- If the sauce gets too thick, you can thin it out with more water.
How to Serve Homemade Strawberry Sauce
The number one way my family likes to enjoy this recipe is over pancakes, of course. It’s also delicious on my new recipe for Homemade Fluffy Waffles which is a recipe you prepare the night before. My husband also makes homemade crepes for us a few times a year and I always serve this sauce then too.
If you’re looking for an easy recipe for homemade pancakes, just out my recipe for Homemade Bulk Pancakes that I’ve been making for years. There’s even printable labels and tags for you to use!
The perfect way to celebrate a holiday or special birthday is with a plate of homemade pancakes and homemade strawberry sauce.
Serve Homemade Strawberry Sauce over Vanilla Ice Cream
Another delicious way to serve strawberry sauce is over vanilla ice cream. How delicious does this look?
How to Freeze Homemade Strawberry Sauce
If you have leftovers, which you might, you can easily freeze this sauce. I’ve done this quite a few times because the recipe does make a lot.
- Simply add the leftover sauce to a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When you’re ready to enjoy the sauce again, just remove from the freezer the night before and warm it up in the microwave.
- This recipe works great with other berries too. I’ve made blueberry sauce as well and it’s amazing.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes:
- Spinach Bacon Cheese Frittata
- Homemade Fluffy Waffles – an easy overnight recipe!
- Banana Nut Bread
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 0g
This post contains affiliate links. Your cost is the same, but I earn a commission when you shop through them. For more information, click here.