Making semi-homemade breadsticks is easier than ever and they taste great too. Pizza dough, butter and a few Italian seasonings are all you need to whip up this delicious quick breadsticks recipe that your family will love.
Forget the garlic bread to serve for dinner! Simply put together this recipe from the pantry staples in your kitchen and enjoy the comforting aroma of freshly baked bread ready fast!
This is an easy-to-make side dish to go along with any of our Family Dinner Ideas.
Are you looking for an easy, delicious side dish to pair with any of my favorite chicken cutlet recipes for dinner this week? If so, you are in for a treat! You need to try my semi-homemade breadsticks recipe made from pizza dough.
They're the perfect combination of butter, garlic and Italian seasoning that will have everyone coming back for seconds…and thirds!
This recipe uses a store-bought pizza dough, but if you can use a homemade pizza dough recipe if you prefer.
Table of Contents
Looking for more Bread Recipes? Try my Crescent Rolls with Cheese, Air Fryer Garlic Bread, Garlic and Parmesan Cheese Breadsticks and even my Amish White Bread. Yum!
What sauce goes with breadsticks?
How could you possible make this recipe for breadsticks better? How about dipping them in a side sauce! I personally love spreading homemade garlic butter on them, but you can try my homemade ranch dressing.
Or you might enjoy dipping them in homemade marinara sauce, Alfredo sauce, pesto sauce or even a cheese dip. I think this homemade Jezebel Sauce has a spicy sweet heat that's perfect for dipping.
Tips for Making Homemade Breadsticks
- You can use either homemade pizza dough, frozen or store-bought pizza dough.
- You can also purchase pizza dough from your favorite pizza restaurant. They will sell you dough!
- If you're using store-bought pizza dough, make sure it's at room temperature before trying to roll it out.
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
More InformationMore InformationMore InformationMore Information
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
Step 1 | Roll Out the Dough
- Roll out the pizza dough onto a floured surface.
- Cut the rectangle into 12 even strips of dough.
📌Quick Tip: Make sure the dough is at room temperature before rolling it out.
Step 2 | Twist the Breadsticks
- Place each twisted breadstick on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Even if you have non-stick baking trays you're going to want to line them with parchment paper. It helps crisp up the bread sticks.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes.
Step 3 | Baking Instructions
- Brush the breadsticks with butter then sprinkle on the garlic salt and Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Bake the breadsticks for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Serve with tomato sauce on the side to dip the bread sticks in.
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
- Add mozzarella cheese for a cheesy breadstick!
- Check out my other recipe for Easy Bread Bowls
- Or you might enjoy THIS recipe - Easy Garlic Twists
- Allow the leftover bread sticks to fully cool before storing them in an air tight container or wrapped in foil at room temperature.
- Use leftovers within 3 days.
Air-Tight Storage Containers: these air-tight storage containers that help keep food fresh for longer. Use them to store fresh baked goods, cookies, fruit and vegetables, left overs, and more. The silicone lids lock to close to ensure an air tight seal. The stackable, multi-size design makes these containers easy to store. They're perfectly sized for the fridge, freezer, or cupboard.
- Place cooled breadsticks on a baking tray and freeze for about 2 hours until they're firm.
- Transfer them to a large freezer bag or air tight container to store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To reheat in the oven, thaw the breadsticks and bake in a 350° F oven for about 10 minutes.
- To reheat in the air fryer, place frozen breadsticks in a single layer and heat at 350° F for 8-10 minutes.
Make the recipe according to directions up until the baking instructions. Cover the tray of bread sticks with greased plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Allow the breadsticks to sit at room temperature about an hour before you bake them.
🌟Try these recipes next...
Quick Breadsticks Recipe
Pizza dough, butter and a few Italian seasonings are all you need to whip up this quick breadsticks recipe that your family will love.
- 16 oz pizza dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- garlic salt
- Parmesan Cheese, Italian Seasoning, optional toppings
- Roll dough into a large rectangle about 1 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 strips.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a long rope then twist.
- Place the bread sticks onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and let rest 30 minutes to rise.
- Brush melted butter on top of each bread stick and sprinkle with garlic salt, Parmesan cheese or your favorite seasonings.
- Bake in a preheated 425° F oven 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Make sure the dough is at room temperature before rolling it out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 115Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2013 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!
Kitty G says
If made ahead do they reheat well?
I would make them ahead but not bake them. Keep them in the refrigerator on a baking tray wrapped in plastic wrap. Remove from the refrigerator about an hour before baking.
Dee M says
I love breadsticks, and I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday!