How to Make the Most Delicious Homemade Apple Pie Recipe. Included with this recipe are tips on how to get the perfect looking crust. We’ll also discuss how to choose the best tasting apples for baking a delicious pie.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2016 with a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them! Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Homemade Apple Pie
Today I’m sharing with you a recipe for the Most Delicious Homemade Apple Pie that you will love! It’s the perfect dessert for your Thanksgiving meal or really for any time of the year.
What is your favorite pie for Thanksgiving? For years I’ve been all about pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin and then I discovered how much I love apple pie. I really like apple pie warm from the oven with just a little homemade whipped cream. Okay, a lot of whipped cream!
Ingredients for Homemade Apple Pie
Make sure you print out the recipe below and save it for later!
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (6 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pastry for double pie crust
How to Make Apple Pie
First, we need to make the pie dough. Roll out the pie crust. This is just one of the two you need for this apple pie. If you need a good tutorial on how to make perfect pie crust, check out my post on Pie Crust Basics.
Now, let’s work on the preparing the apples for the pie. Peel, core and slice the apples using an apple corer/slicer. You can also use an apple peeler and knife but I find it easier to use this Apple Corer. It gives even slices for the apples.
Once the apples are sliced, mix them with the sugar and spices. I love to use Cortland apples for all my baking. Make sure you check out the list below for a few other favorite apples that work great for homemade apple pie.
Add the apples to the pie crust that is already fitted in the bottom of the Pie Plate. Add the top pie crust dough, crimp the edges and brush with the egg wash before baking.
Bake for 40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is golden brown. You can cover the edge of the crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after the first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool on cooling rack before serving.
Tips for the Perfect Looking Pie Crust
Have you ever wondered how some people manage to get the tops of their pies to look beautiful? All you need to do is brush any of the following washes to the top of the crust before baking:
- For a shiny light brown crust: brush with an egg white that has been lightly beaten with a teaspoon of water.
- To get a glossy golden pie crust: brush the crust with an egg yolk and a teaspoon of water.
- For a crisp brown crust: brush the pie crust just with water.
- How to add a little sparkle: sprinkle sugar on top as well.
Types of Apples to Use for Apple Pie
Here are a few favorite types of apples that are perfect for apple pie:
- Cortland – are my personal favorite for baking.
- Granny Smith – a lot of people LOVE Granny Smith for baking, but I still find the taste a bit too tart. But that’s just my preference. My husband loves Granny Smith apples.
More Delicious Apple Recipes
- Apple Dutch Pie or Apple Crumb Pie – an older recipe on the site but still so very popular!
- Best Apple Pie Recipes for Thanksgiving
- Apple Dump Cake
- This recipe for Easy Apple Puff Pastry Danish only sounds complicated. It’s actually very easy to put together and looks amazing once baked!
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Easy Italian Apple Cake
You can cover the edge of the crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after the first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 30gProtein: 2g
You can cover the edge of the crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after the first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.