Heart Shaped Cake - I have an easy way to make a cake perfect for Valentine's Day that doesn't require heart shaped cake pan pan. This is an easy dessert to make for your family or special someone in your life. Let me show you another Cake Mix Hack Recipe that's easy to put together.
How many cake pans does it take to make a heart shaped cake? The answer is three! You use two cake pans; a square cake pan and a round cake pan.
Then you put them together to form the heart. This is an easy way to make something fun for your family this Valentine's Day.
I used to love putting heart shaped treats together for the kids when they were little. They love Heart Shaped Oreo Truffles and Heart Shaped Chocolate Chip Cookies. Nothing fancy but just something that showed them how much I loved them.
How to Make a Heart Shaped Cake
This heart shaped cake is easy because it starts out with a cake mix. And you know what? Kids love cakes made from cake mix almost more than a from scratch cake.
Usually when I bake a cake mix recipe, I try to make a homemade frosting. Here are a few of my favorites I've share with you before on the blog:
- Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- Coconut Pecan Frosting
- Homemade Chocolate Ganache
- Easy Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
However, this time I chose to keep it simply with store-bought icing from a can when putting this heart shaped cake together.
Check out my Cake Mix Baking Secrets for more recipes that use a cake mix as an ingredient. There's even a fun printable to help you create desserts your family is going to love.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Square Baking Pan
- Round Baking Pan
- Heart Shaped Baking Pan - just in case you want to purchase a heart shaped pan.
- Chocolate drizzle tool - to help you decorate the cake.
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- 1 box cake mix; 15.25 ounce size
- 1 can frosting; 16 ounce size
- strawberries, candy sprinkles, etc to decorate
Step 1: Bake the Cake
Bake your favorite flavor of cake in one 8-inch square pan and one 8-inch round pan. I like to use disposable cake pans for this recipe because it makes it easy for cleanup.
Step 2: Let the Cakes Cool
Let the cakes cool slightly before removing them from the pans. You can use a baking rack.
Step 3: Cut Round Cake in Half
Place the square cake diagonally on your serving tray. Then cut the round cake in half and place directly next to the square cake to form the heart.
Step 3: Decorate the Cake
Make sure the cake is on the platter or serving tray you plan on using to serve your cake. You do not want to even try to move the cake once the frosting is on.
Begin by adding frosting between the individual pieces of the cake. This will act like "glue" when you push the pieces of the cake together. Next, spread the frosting on the cake.
Finally, decide how you want to decorate your heart shaped cake.
You can choose to write a message out on the cake using a I love using this great chocolate drizzle tool that really lets you write out a message in chocolate!
Do not attempt to do this directly on the cake as the chocolate is melted and it will run all over and ruin your cake. After you write the word out on the waxed paper, wait for it to dry and harden and then gently lift it off the waxed paper and position on the cake.
How to Cut a Heart Shaped Cake
After your family has complimented you on the beautiful cake you baked, you can cut the heart shaped cake. The easiest way is to slice it down the middle and then cut pieces into each section.
Tried this recipe? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to rate it!
A few other Valentine's Day Recipes:
- Heart Shaped Treats
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars in the shape of hearts!
- Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Valentines Day Ice Cream Floats
- Heart Shaped Oreo Truffles
- Valentines Day Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- 1 - 15.25 ounce size chocolate boxed cake mix
- 1-¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 - 16 ounce size can of chocolate frosting
- Follow the directions listed on the back of the cake mix to prepare the cake.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake according to the directions on the back of the cake mix box.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove both cakes from their pans and place on top of a cutting board.
- Slice the round cake into two semi-round pieces.
- Place the square cake on a diagonal so it now looks like a diamond shape on the platter you plan to serve the cake on.
- Position both the semi-round pieces on either side of the square/diamond shaped cake.
- Spread a little of the canned frosting on the insides of the cake pieces then press these pieces together to form the heart shape.
- Finish spreading the remainder of the frosting over the entire cake.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries, candy sprinkles or however you want!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2017 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!