I have an easy way to make a Heart Shaped Cake for Valentine's Day that doesn't require a special heart shaped cake pan. This is a delicious way to show your special someone or family extra love this holiday.
Let me show you another Valentine's Day Recipe that will make people think you brought it home from a bakery!
How many cake pans does it take to make a heart shaped cake? The answer is two! All you need is a square cake pan and a round cake pan.
After the cakes are baked, put them together to form a heart. This is an easy way to make something fun for your family this Valentine's Day without needing any special pans.
I love creating heart shaped treats for my family to celebrate the holiday. A few of our favorites are Heart Shaped Oreo Truffles and Heart Shaped Chocolate Chip Cookies.
It doesn't have to be complicated to bake something special for Valentine's Day.
Table of Contents
Looking for more easy desserts? Check out my Cake Mix Baking Secrets for more recipes that use a cake mix as an ingredient. There's even a fun printable to help you create desserts your family is going to love.
💭How to Make a Heart Shaped Cake
This heart shaped cake is easy because it starts out with a cake mix. And you know what? Kids love cakes made from cake mix almost more than a from scratch cake.
Usually when I bake a cake mix recipe, I try to make a homemade frosting. Here are a few of my favorites I've share with you before on the blog:
- Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- Coconut Pecan Frosting
- Homemade Chocolate Ganache
- Easy Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
However, this time I chose to keep it simply with store-bought icing from a can when putting this heart shaped cake together.
💭Where can I buy a heart shaped cake pan?
For this recipe I used two different types of cake pans. I used a round cake pan and a square cake pan. However, if you want, you can purchase a heart-shaped cake pan.
I found a few that would be fun to use for Valentine's Day, anniversaries or even a bridal shower on Amazon:
Wilton Decorator Preferred Heart Shaped Aluminum Cake Pan, 10-InchMini Heart Muffin Pan, 12-Cup2 pcs Aluminum Heart Shaped Cake Pan SetRhoxshy Heart Shaped Cake Pans - Silicone Molds 3pcs Heart Baking Pan 5" 8" 10" Heart Cake Mold Non-Stick Cake Pan Set for Cheese Cake and Brownie Cake
🛒Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
9-Inch Classic Nonstick Bakeware Round Cake Pan9-Inch Classic Nonstick Bakeware Square Cake PanValentine's Day Heart Cupcake ToppersCookie Cutters Set - I Love U for Valentine’s Day and Decorating
📋Main Ingredients Needed:
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
- 1 box cake mix; any flavor
- 1 can frosting; any flavor
- strawberries, candy sprinkles, etc to decorate
Step 1| Prepare the Cake
- Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the back of the box.
- You can use your favorite flavor cake. It doesn't have to be chocolate.
- Strawberry would be a great flavor to make as well!
Step 2: How to make a Heart Cake
- Divide the cake mix batter between one 8-inch square pan and one 8-inch round pan.
- Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box.
- Let the cakes cool slightly before removing them from the pans.
- Place the square cake diagonally on your serving tray so it's the shape of a diamond.
- Then cut the round cake in half and place directly next to the square cake to form the heart.
Step 3| Decorate the Cake
- Make sure the cake is on the platter or serving tray you plan on using to serve your cake. You do not want to even try to move the cake once the frosting is on.
- Begin by adding frosting between the individual pieces of the cake. This will act like "glue" when you push the pieces of the cake together. Next, spread the frosting on the cake.
- Finally, decide how you want to decorate your heart shaped cake.
How to Cut a Heart Shaped Cake
After your family has complimented you on the beautiful cake you baked, you can cut the heart shaped cake. The easiest way is to slice it down the middle and then cut pieces into each section.
⭐Before You Begin! If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container.
- Be sure to remove all of the air from the container before sealing it shut.
- To preserve the moisture and freshness of your cake, place a paper towel at the bottom and top of the container.
- Place your stored cake in a cool and dry area, like refrigerator, and enjoy when ready!
Air-Tight Storage Containers: these air-tight storage containers that help keep food fresh for longer. Use them to store fresh baked goods, cookies, fruit and vegetables, left overs, and more. The silicone lids lock to close to ensure an air tight seal. The stackable, multi-size design makes these containers easy to store. They're perfectly sized for the fridge, freezer, or cupboard.
🌟Try these recipes next...
- Heart Shaped Treats
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars in the shape of hearts!
- Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Valentines Day Ice Cream Floats
- Heart Shaped Oreo Truffles
- Valentines Day Chocolate Covered Pretzels
More InformationMore InformationMore InformationMore InformationMore InformationMore Information
Heart Shaped Cake for Valentine's Day
Heart Shaped Cake - an easy way to make a cake perfect for Valentine’s Day that doesn’t require any special cake pans or tools.
- 1 - 15.25 ounce size chocolate boxed cake mix
- 1-¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 - 16 ounce size can of chocolate frosting
- Follow the directions listed on the back of the cake mix to prepare the cake.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake according to the directions on the back of the cake mix box.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove both cakes from their pans and place on top of a cutting board.
- Slice the round cake into two semi-round pieces.
- Place the square cake on a diagonal so it now looks like a diamond shape on the platter you plan to serve the cake on.
- Position both the semi-round pieces on either side of the square/diamond shaped cake.
- Spread a little of the canned frosting on the insides of the cake pieces then press these pieces together to form the heart shape.
- Finish spreading the remainder of the frosting over the entire cake.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries, candy sprinkles or however you want!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2017 with new photos and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!
Linda Primmer says
Perfect for Valentine's Day. I am happy to feature your heart shaped cake at love Your Creativity .
Thank you so much!
Wow, this looks delicious. Can I try the same for cupcakes?
I don't see why you couldn't! Thanks for visiting.
Sonia Goyal says
This is a great idea. Will Definitely try this.
Great idea thanks for sharing ..
Angie Church says
love this idea, I to shared a post on how to make a heart cake without a heat shape pan
Mary K.- The Boondocks Blog says
This is such a great idea Lois. My daughter is always baking so this would be a perfect tip for her. Going to share it right now.
Made In a Day says
Simple and sweet I love it! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!