This Heart Shaped Cake shows that it doesn't have to be complicated to bake something special for Valentine's Day!
Made with a chocolate cake mix, frosting, strawberries and two different sized cake pans, this is about as easy as it gets to bake something special for your family.
Let me show you another Valentine's Day Recipe that will make people think you purchased it from a bakery!
Looking for more easy desserts? Check out my Cake Mix Baking Secrets for more recipes that use a cake mix as an ingredient. There's even a fun printable to help you create desserts your family is going to love.
Table of Contents
- How to Make a Heart Shaped Cake
- Using a Round Cake Pan and Cutting Technique
- Shaping the Cake with a Template
- Heart Shaped Cake Pan
- 📋Main Ingredients Needed:
- 🥣Step-by-Step Directions
- ⏲Baking Instructions
- Top Tip
- How to Decorate a Heart Shaped Cake
- How to Cut a Heart Shaped Cake
- Before You Begin!
- 🍶Storage Tips
- ❄️Freezing Tips
- 🔁 Thawing Tips
- 🌟Try these recipes next...
- 📇Recipe Card
- 💬 Comments
How to Make a Heart Shaped Cake
How many cake pans does it take to make a heart-shaped cake? The answer is two! All you need is a square cake pan and a round cake pan.
After the cakes are baked, put them together to form a heart. This is an easy way to make something fun for your family this Valentine's Day without needing any special pans.
Using a Round Cake Pan and Cutting Technique
Another way to bake a heart shaped cake is to bake two round cakes. Once they're cooled, gently cut one cake in half. Then, place each half at the top of the other whole cake round. It’ll form the signature heart shape, where the loaf pans' curved edges make the perfect heart contours.
Shaping the Cake with a Template
You can also create a heart template out of parchment paper by folding it in half and shaping the heart you want to trace on top of your cake. Use this to cut your cake with scissors once out of the oven but cooled down.
Heart Shaped Cake Pan
For this recipe, I used two different types of cake pans. I used a round cake pan and a square cake pan. However, if you want, you can purchase a heart-shaped cake pan.
I found a few that would be fun to use for Valentine's Day, anniversaries or even a bridal shower on Amazon:
Wilton Decorator Preferred Heart Shaped Aluminum Cake Pan, 10-InchMini Heart Muffin Pan, 12-Cup2 pcs Aluminum Heart Shaped Cake Pan SetRhoxshy Heart Shaped Cake Pans - Silicone Molds 3pcs Heart Baking Pan 5" 8" 10" Heart Cake Mold Non-Stick Cake Pan Set for Cheese Cake and Brownie Cake
📋Main Ingredients Needed:
This is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to see the recipe card below for exact quantities, detailed instructions and special notes.
- 1 box cake mix; any flavor
- 1 can frosting; any flavor
- strawberries, candy sprinkles, etc to decorate
- Step 1: Prepare the cake mix according to the directions on the back of the box.
- Step 2: You can use your favorite flavor cake. It doesn't have to be chocolate. Strawberry would be a great flavor to make as well!
- Step 3: Divide the cake mix batter between one 8-inch square pan and one 8-inch round pan.
- Step 4: Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box. Let the cakes cool slightly before removing them from the pans.
- Step 5: Place the square cake diagonally on your serving tray so it's the shape of a diamond. Then cut the round cake in half and place directly next to the square cake to form the heart.
How to Decorate a Heart Shaped Cake
- Make sure the cake is on the platter or serving tray you plan on using to serve your cake. You do not want to even try to move the cake once the frosting is on.
- Begin by adding frosting between the individual pieces of the cake. This will act like "glue" when you push the pieces of the cake together. Next, spread the frosting on the cake.
- Finally, decide how you want to decorate your heart shaped cake.
How to Cut a Heart Shaped Cake
After your family has complimented you on the beautiful cake you baked, you can cut the heart-shaped cake. The easiest way is to slice it down the middle and then cut pieces into each section.
Before You Begin!
If you make this recipe, please leave a review and star rating. This helps my business thrive and continue providing FREE recipes.
- Place any leftovers in an airtight container.
- Be sure to remove all of the air from the container before sealing it shut.
- To preserve the moisture and freshness of your cake, place a paper towel at the bottom and top of the container.
- Place your stored cake in a cool and dry area, like refrigerator, and enjoy when ready!
- 2 ROUND CONTAINERS - Don't have time to eat all those sweets and treats? Not to worry - just use these large reusable food containers and save foods in the fridge or freezer to enjoy later!
- Place the uncovered cake on a baking tray in the freezer for at least an hour to allow the frosting to set.
- Once the frosting has set or frozen, place the cake in an airtight container and freeze it for up to three months.
🔁 Thawing Tips
- When you want to enjoy your cake again, allow it to defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
🌟Try these recipes next...
- Check out my other recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars in the shape of hearts or my Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberries.
- Or you might enjoy this recipe for Hidden Hearts Cupcakes!
- 1 - 15.25 ounce size chocolate boxed cake mix
- 1-¼ cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 - 16 ounce size can of chocolate frosting
- Follow the directions listed on the back of the cake mix to prepare the cake.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake according to the directions on the back of the cake mix box.
- Once the cake has cooled, remove both cakes from their pans and place on top of a cutting board.
- Slice the round cake into two semi-round pieces.
- Place the square cake on a diagonal so it now looks like a diamond shape on the platter you plan to serve the cake on.
- Position both the semi-round pieces on either side of the square/diamond shaped cake.
- Spread a little of the canned frosting on the insides of the cake pieces then press these pieces together to form the heart shape.
- Finish spreading the remainder of the frosting over the entire cake.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries, candy sprinkles or however you want!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.