A simple cake mix is the main ingredient for these Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies with homemade cream cheese frosting. These are just one more of my easy Valentine's Day Recipes that you can make for your family to show your love for them.
Let's make February 14th special with an extraordinary dessert!
If you love red velvet cake, you are going to love these Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies. Red Velvet is perfect for Valentine's Day. But really, red velvet is perfect all year round!
You can serve these without the fun colorful sprinkles I used or, of course, you can choose sprinkles to go with whatever theme you are celebrating!
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Using a homemade frosting makes any ordinary cake mix recipe taste homemade or even from a bakery. It really does make all the difference in the world. A few of my favorite homemade frosting recipes already on the blog are:
- Homemade Chocolate Frosting
- Coconut Pecan Frosting
- Homemade Chocolate Ganache
- Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting - which is what we're using for this recipe.
Red Velvet Mix
These red velvet sandwich cookies with cream cheese frosting are easy to make too because they use a boxed cake mix.
However, if you are looking for a Homemade Red Velvet Mix Recipe, try my Patriotic Cupcakes. They start out with a homemade red velvet mix and I think would work great for this recipe too!
VALENTINE’S DAY GIFT TAGS
The perfect homemade treat for Valentine’s Day deserves really cute cards and gift tags. Check out a few of my favorites:
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, click here.
- Large cookie scoop - helps to make sure all the red velvet sandwich cookies are the same size when putting them on the baking trays.
- Parchment Baking Sheets - really helps to make sure the cake mix cookies don't stick.
- Pastry piping bags - you don't have to use them but I like how pretty the sandwich cookies look with the cream cheese frosting piped inside the cookies.
Ingredients for the Sandwich Cookies:
Exact measurements are listed below in the recipe card. Make sure you scroll down to print and save the recipe for later!
- 1 box red velvet cake mix, 15.25 ounces
- Valentines Day sprinkles - to decorate the red velvet sandwich cookies.
Ingredients for the Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
- Powdered sugar
- Cream cheese
- Softened butter
Step 1: Prepare the Cake Mix Batter
In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, ½ cup butter, and 2 eggs.
Step 2: Use a Cookie Scoop
Drop cookie dough by rounded spoonfuls, onto the parchment baking sheets. A large cookie scoop works great too!
Step 3: Baking Directions
Bake for 10-11 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to a baking rack to cool while you prepare the frosting.
Step 4: How to Make Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
In the bowl of a KitchenAid mixer, combine the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until fluffy. Then mix in powdered sugar and combine.
Step 5: How to Frost the Cookies
Once the red velvet sandwich cookies are cooked and cooled, pipe the frosting onto one cookie and top with another cookie. Make sure you flip the cookies over so you have a flat surface on both sides of the icing.
If you don't want to pipe the frosting on, you can use a knife or an off-set spatula to spread the frosting.
Step 6: Decorate with fun colorful sprinkles and serve!
Tried any of my recipes? Let me know in the comments!
A few other Valentine's Day Recipes:
- Heart Shaped Treats
- Valentines Day Ice Cream Floats
- Heart Shaped Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Valentines Day Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Heart Shaped Oreo Truffles
For the sandwich cookies:
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- ½ cup butter; melted
- 2 eggs
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ½ cup softened butter
To decorate the sandwich cookies:
- Valentines Day sprinkles
How to Prepare the Cookies:
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, ½ cup melted butter, and 2 eggs.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded spoonfuls onto the parchment paper and bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack while you prepare the frosting.
How to Prepare the Frosting:
- In a large bowl, mix ½ cup softened butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until fluffy.
- Mix in powdered sugar.
How to Frost the Sandwich Cookies:
- Once cookies are cooled, pipe the frosting onto one cookie and top with another cookie.
- Make sure you flip the cookies over so you have a flat surface on both sides of the icing.
- If you don’t want to pipe the frosting on, you can use a knife or an off-set spatula to spread the frosting.
- Decorate with fun colorful sprinkles and serve!
Depending on how big you make the cookies, you should get around 16 sandwich cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated since it first appeared in 2018 with new photos, information and a new printable recipe card that includes nutritional information. I hope you enjoy the updates as much as I enjoyed working on them!