A classic Italian recipe that's made in a classic Dutch Oven pan! Let me show you how to make this Sausage and Peppers Recipe that's perfect for a family dinner or a large gathering of family and friends.
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, click here.
Last week I posted the photo below letting everyone know that we had sausage and peppers for dinner. I was blown away by all the "love" shown to that photo!
And then the requests for the recipe started coming in. So what does a good food blogger do? I made the recipe again, took great photos and put everything together so you can make this easy dinner recipe for your family.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
There's really not too many kitchen tools needed to prepare this dish.
- You can make this recipe on a sheet pan or Baking Trays.
- I love using my cast iron Dutch Oven Stock Pot.
- You can also use an oven-proof skillet. This recipe starts out on top of the stove, but finishes cooking in the oven. Please make sure whichever pan you choose to cook this recipe in is oven-proof.
- Italian sausage links
- Green peppers; seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 2 medium sized onions; sliced
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
In a Dutch Oven or large oven-proof skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the sausage links and brown them on all sides.
Once the sausage links are browned, add the sliced peppers and onions. Then add the garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Cover the Dutch Oven and place in a preheated 385 degree.
Cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until the sausages reach an internal link of 165 degrees. Use a Digital Meat Thermometer to check the internal temperature.
What is the best way to cook sausages?
I have made sausage and peppers a few different ways, but I really think cooking in a cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven as I did in this recipe is the easiest.
You can also use a crock pot to slow cook the recipe. The sausages come out juicy and tender in a slow cooker.
When I'm preparing this recipe for a large crowd I use my Oven Roasting Pan because it holds a large amount of sausage and peppers.
How to serve this easy dinner recipe
Serve as sandwiches
In our family, we traditionally serve this recipe just like you see in the photos...with hard sandwich rolls. Slice the sausages either in half lengthwise or into disc size chunks.
Then add the sausages to a hard sandwich roll, spoon a little of the cooked peppers and onions on top and you have an amazing sandwich!
You can add tomato sauce on top and mozzarella cheese if you desire, but I think a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese is all you need.
Serve over Pasta
Another way we love to serve this recipe is over pasta. My favorite type of pasta to use is penne.
Once the sausages are cooked through, slice them into disc size chunks and spoon over your favorite cooked pasta.
A lot of times I'll add a few spoonfuls of my homemade marinara sauce as well. Don't forget to add freshly grated Parmesan cheese just before serving!
What goes with sausage and peppers?
- One of my family's favorite recipes to enjoy with this recipe for sausage and peppers is Copy Cat Panera Mac and Cheese. This is a recipe I've been making since my kids were little. Everyone loves it!
- Twice Baked Potatoes are always good to complete any meal!
- If you're looking for a lighter side dish, try my recipe for German Cucumber Salad. It's perfect for summer months.
Can you freeze sausage and peppers?
The answer to this question is yes! After the sausage and peppers have come to room temperature, place them in a freezer safe air-tight container for up to six months.
When you're ready to enjoy this recipe again, remove the container from the freezer and allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight. You can heat the sausage and peppers up in the microwave or add them to your crock pot and cook on low until they are completely heated through and warm.
- 6- 8 sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 large green peppers; seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 2 medium sized onions; sliced
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 – 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- In a Dutch Oven or large oven-proof skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the sausage links and brown them on all sides.
- Once the sausage links are browned, add the sliced peppers and onions.
- Then add the garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Cover the Dutch Oven and place in a preheated 385 degree.
- Cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until the sausages reach an internal link of 165 degrees.
- Use a Digital Meat Thermometer to check the internal temperature.
Serve the cooked sausage and peppers as sandwiches with crusty rolls and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
The nutrition information is calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee its accuracy. If this data is important to you, please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator.